Wine ina box...Yes or no?

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (43 posts)
  1. OregonWino profile image61
    OregonWinoposted 14 years ago

So running a debate on whether wine ina  box is acceptable for entertaining....

So what are your thought?  Has WIAB (wine in a box) become acceptable for us wine snobs?

OregonWinoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Come on...you all know you love it!!!!  who doesnt love 5 litres of houch for $10?

2. MikeNV profile image67
      MikeNVposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Take 4 or 5 different wines and pour them in glases.  Have your guests sample them and tell you what they like and you'll have your answer.

This was done on 60 minutes/48 Hours/Nightline something or other with Vodka and people couldn't pick the premium brands from the cheap ones!

Happy Entertaining.

I have done something similar (just one wine) a highly rated boxed wine and did'nt tell everyone that it was from a box and everyone loved it.

3. deberon profile image60
      deberonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

BlackBox wines are actually pretty good.  Reds for sure, I dont drink white wine.  Try a box!

I had a bod of the cab and was VERY surprised with how good it was!

2. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Ummm...no.

Not even the "Black Box" wines that are rating pretty darn high in blind tasting?

3. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

yes..more quality vintners are adopting the packaging which is supposedly the best option for maintaining flavor integrity after opening

1. Jeffrey Neal profile image68
      Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have heard this also.  For Christmas a couple of years ago a neighbor got us a stopper for wine bottles with a suction device to keep things fresh.  It works pretty good and you get an arm workout to boot.

I haven't drank wine out of a box in some time, although one of my wife's coworkers only buys the boxes or magnums for the weekend...the only time she drinks...but does she drink, WHOA!

2. OregonWino profile image61

Yep, that is what I have been hearing as well.  I sometimes get samples to try for my blog and one I got recently was in a box....it was meant for restaurante sale, and was a boxed version of their 93 point vintage.  I must say that if you do not intend to drink the entire bottle, boxed wine stays fresh and wont oxidize..

4. Gregg Biancci profile image59
    Gregg Biancciposted 14 years ago

Wine in a box used to all be awful, there are now some pretty quality boxed wines out there.

5. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Last time I tried it was crap.

I agree that there are bad boxed wines, in fact I would say that most are not very good.  But the same is true of the under $5 bottled wines...

1. Misha profile image62
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

True dat. The only bearable under 5 would be Charles Shaw probably. But under 10 you can find quite a few, especially at Trader Joe's smile

6. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

I like mine out of a corked bottle, but mostly Scotch, or Bourbon.

1. Gregg Biancci profile image59
      Gregg Biancciposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ah bouron, I thought only old ladies from the south drank that? tongue

Just kidding, I really enjoy bourbon - apparently it's popularity is rising all over the world.

7. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

I use to buy Paine's EG ale in a box. After a couple you didn't even give it a thought. As long as it's not Boones farm or Thunderbird how bad can it be?

8. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I haven't tried the newer boxed wines.

9. Uninvited Writer profile image78
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

It all depends on the quality of the wines. That being said, I don't have any boxes of wine around and prefer bottles.

I have to say that I have been pleasantly surprised by some of the new boxed wines I have tried.  I am also a  fan of not having to worry about them going bad or the cork degrading AND they use much less packaging which is better for recycling etc.

10. Midasfx profile image67
    Midasfxposted 14 years ago

Being partial to cheap alcohol doesn't make my opinion have much value, but... Someone somewhere created wine in a box for a reason.

Its cheap, crappy, but yet I see it at every grocery store I have ever been in from coast to coast in the USA. So someone has to enjoy it and buy this stuff.

I have had some bad tasting wines in my time, but they were all from a bottle, not a box. Wine in a box is also heavily sold in restaurants, so one might think that this stuff ain't that bad.

But overall, its not that good.

9 out of 10 times a $5 bottle will taste better then a $10 box of wine.

11. profile image0
    B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years ago

I have never bought wine in a box, I always buy my usual bottles for entertaining, sometimes i spend hours in the wine isles looking for something new that might be good and exciting..

but that is just my opinion...

If wine in the box is good, go for it..I just have never tried it

12. Delaney Boling profile image52
    Delaney Bolingposted 14 years ago

The concept of wine-inna-box could work because there are some definate advantages. Being that there is a limited amount of air (oxygen) getting into the wine, there is less likelihood that the wine will spoil faster. This also enables the user to store the wine for a longer period of time without fear of it going bad. The problem, however, lies in the fact that most winemakers feel that the "bag in a box" concept is cheap and therefore they use the concept to release their shit wine. Typically, bag in a box wine is pressed from grape seeds and stems and therefore full of acid and without many overnotes of flavor. Another detractor is the fact that high acidity wine tends to give many people headaches. For this reason, bag in a box wine is reserved to Chefs to use for cooking purposes mainly though some unscrupulous dining establishments will serve box-wine as their "house" wine. To answer your question - Should bow wine be served? No. There are plenty of affordable vintages out there that have incredible body and great nuances flavorwise. Leave the box-wine in the kitchen and spend a few bucks to make your guests happy.

Awesome!  Thank you for the well thought out response!  I am going to go check out some of your hubs as you area  great writer!

1. Delaney Boling profile image52
        Delaney Bolingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome! I'll check out your hubs as well. Anytime you want to talk wine or food, just drop me a line. I'm not the most knowledgable wine-buff, but I have rubbed shoulders with many top winemakers here in CA.

13. june of ages profile image61
    june of agesposted 14 years ago

Some are decent and some are awful.  The tetra boxed wines from Oz are quite decent.  As with any type of wine, boxed wine tastes WAY better if decanted for an hour before it is consumed.

14. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 14 years ago

I like boxed wine for festivals!  You can take the bladder out from the box, put it in a backpack with a plastic glass and just pour!  Nothing better than being at the front of the stage with a great indie band, pumping away at the wine bladder!  Saves any queueing and you are guaranteed of wine that you will enjoy cos you've picked it! 

Partying in your wellies at Glastonbury Festival... yes!

Love it!  Reminds me of college and smuggling booze into all kinds of places..

15. Bill Manning profile image68
    Bill Manningposted 14 years ago

I never acquired a taste for any type of alcohol. Beer, wine, whiskey, rum, it all taste the same to me, poison. Don't understand how people get hooked on it.

But if I do drink, it's some type of wine. smile

16. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

I've tasted some awful box wines-- but have found one particular variety of one particular brand that is fine for an everyday dinner. If you are having spaghetti and garlic bread or meatloaf and potatoes it's fine-- and it keeps in the pantry.

Do you recall what the brand was?  I am always looking to try out a new variety.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
        Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

One of the cheaper ones-- Peter Vella, Delicious Red. Now some of you will know that I have no taste.
        It is not great, But it is not awful. Like I said, a very inexpensive table wine-- a little garlic bread does wonders. I was hopeful that some of their other varieties would be acceptable. I haven't found that.

17. Karina S. profile image60
    Karina S.posted 14 years ago

no!

18. Curious Jen profile image61
    Curious Jenposted 14 years ago

It's a good option for hiking and camping.  I should add, it is a good option once you have finished hiking and camp is set up.

19. waynet profile image69
    waynetposted 14 years ago

I'll drink it anyway you can throw it at me, just warn me first so I have my mouth open!

20. Betty Reid profile image61
    Betty Reidposted 14 years ago

For me, it would depend who I'm entertaining.  Usually I'd be fine with it, as long as I had already tried it myself and thought it was good.

21. PeterKlibs profile image60
    PeterKlibsposted 14 years ago

I'm a fan of the higher end wine in a box brands. It makes having a glass of wine a day much easier.  Esquire had an issue in August about quality wine in a box brands.

22. megs78 profile image61
    megs78posted 14 years ago

I prefer bottled wines for small dinner parties, but when I have a large dinner party planned, I go for a good boxed wine which is easy to find here, and NO it is not cheap.  the best i have had by far is called "the little Penguin' Shiraz.  It is a great tasting wine that your guests will love.  A 3 litre box will cost you about 35 dollars, but its well worth it.  Another good one is Chateau de Minville, but its harder to find and will run you 50 dollars for a 4 litre.

23. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

In Australia we have a lot of world class wine, the boxed varieties are generally ok, but are often blended from many cheap grapes, with prices as low as a few dollars. If you know what to buy and pay a bit more there are some very good boxed wines too, but generally not up to the high standard set by the bottles wines.
    OK for barbecues! smile

24. yenajeon profile image70
    yenajeonposted 14 years ago

FRANZIA: for a real event, probably not!
    I've actually tried the stuff and the quality isn't SOO awful, but at a nice cocktail party, I don't think people would wanna drink out of a box!

25. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Thats fine as long as we don't have to listen to it! Sorry, just shoot me!smile

26. Flightkeeper profile image65
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

I think it makes sense to sell wine in a box but aesthetically it just looks so tacky that most people don't want it for the more expensive wines.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)