jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Good Tofu Recipes

1. 0
    Tom Maitlandposted 6 years ago

Does anyone out there have some really good tofu recipes?

Recently becoming vegetarian has made me and some of my friends change my diet significantly (naturally) and we've got a whole range of awesome meals down but just haven't quite got the idea behind tofu yet.

So, would love to hear what you guys think of tofu, and any awesome recipes you have!

2. Beth100 profile image84
    Beth100posted 6 years ago

A friend of mine taught me this for sandwiches:

slice the tofu approx. 1/4-1/2" thick
    pan fry until crispy on the outside, flipping as needed

I add soya sauce, salt, pepper and sometimes a bit of broth to this step as it adds flavor to the tofu.  I keep cooking the tofu until it is crispy and the liquid is drained off.

Make your sandwich:  whole grain bread with vegannaise, alfalfa sprouts, tomato slices, cucumber, lettuce, avocado and the tofu.  You can also add mustard.  Serve with a spinach salad on the side tossed with nuts and dried fruit. 

(I'll have to apologize if this isn't in recipe format, but I've never written it down before....and it's pretty late here)

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image59
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 6 years ago in reply to this

sounds good Beth....i'd probably have it without the bread....hmmmm...

2. 0
      Tom Maitlandposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks Beth!

It sounds really good, to be honest I never thought of having it on a sandwich - clever!

3. Anolinde profile image88
    Anolindeposted 6 years ago

Well, the firm tofu can be used in stir fry dishes.  One of my hubs about Japanese diet has a vdo on how to make okinawan stir fry, which requires tofu.  I don't know if your diet allows for eggs, because that dish requires eggs and meat, although you could very easily ignore the meat.

Another tofu dish is to first drain tofu of excess water (what I usually do is to sit tofu on a paper towel and have another piece of paper towel and a dish on top of the tofu.  The added weight on the tofu gets rid of some excess water), quarter it, coat them in flour and deep fry in oil til golden brown.  Put in dish and pour men-tsuyu (sauce that you can buy ready made from a Japanese/Asian food store) over it and eat. 

Tofu can also be used in miso soup.  Hope this helps! smile

4. Sab Oh profile image59
    Sab Ohposted 6 years ago