jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (14 posts)

Can you share the restaurant culture around your area?

1. sarovai profile image62
    sarovaiposted 6 years ago

Each part of the world has its own restaurant culture, starting from serving, food taste, hospitality, as well as complaints attending. Share your  experience.And name the restaurant and place.

2. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 6 years ago

I live in a Big 10 college town and we have almost all types of cuisine here - from an Italian restaurant that's been (just) off campus for over 50 years to the recent addition of an authentic taste of India (or is it Pakistani?) eatery in the middle of the college scene.  Also in the college campus area is a Sushi restaurant, two Greek Gyro stops - right across the street from each other, and a Danish Pasty shop with the most delicious lunches. Also downtown are many food vendors who serve everything from Mexican to Chinese to fruit smoothies to different flavored popcorn. (ever had strawberry or blueberry flavored popcorn?  Me neither - but they serve it!)

We also have a fair amount of home-cooking type restaurants (like Denny's and Perkins)  and an authentic Mexican restaurant. (its where all the Mexicans go when they want to eat out)

I prefer to go downtown for the choices but the rest of my family enjoys what they're familiar with. hmm

For hospitality, I'd say the newer places downtown aren't that great - usually run by immigrants who have a different culture so really it's just a matter of getting used to it.  For complaints - I complain most about the chains - the food is served cold (because they have the air conditioning set to 68 degrees or less) and the staff seems to think that since the restaurant is still there they must be successful so why bother to try?

sarovaiposted 6 years ago in reply to this

cold food, really I hate and I never accept. If circumstances makes me to take cold food at a particular restaurant, I never forget the restaurant in my life time.

2. shazwellyn profile image85
      shazwellynposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You should make a hub about it Rafini!

1. Rafini profile image81
        Rafiniposted 6 years ago in reply to this

oh my gosh...lol...I'll give it some thought.  I'm not a food critic (I like almost all kinds of food) and we don't go out to eat much.  But, I could probably come up with something...big_smile

1. shazwellyn profile image85
          shazwellynposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Well.. write what you know! *wink*

3. Rafini profile image81
      Rafiniposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Don't know what I was thinking, but the Pasty's are Cornish Pasty's, not Danish!  lol  roll

3. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 6 years ago

unfortunately the area i moved to is rural and the food is all batter dipped and deep fried...sad
    the fast food restaurants have better food...
    There are a few good restaurants moving in here..from out of state...
    not the food is very bland in my opinion
    I am from the metropolitan NY area and used to all cuisines and very good food.

4. Princessa profile image86
    Princessaposted 6 years ago

I am in central France, in the countryside.  Restaurants around here have seasonal menus;  You won't really find anything else apart from local specialities, which are delicious.  We used to have a Chinese restaurant but it closed because it was not popular.

Countryside foods are really delicious, as well as the hospitality they show towards customers is very good.

5. manlypoetryman profile image70
    manlypoetrymanposted 6 years ago

We have a lot of "franchise" restaraunts. Some are locally owned and operated. They are all pretty good...obviously or they wouldn't make it. My city "Houston", has a reputation for lots of folks dining out. I guess that comes from people getting together in the cool A/C...if I had to guess a main reason.

We have all kinds of restaraunts...but I bet...being from Texas I should lay claim to great Steaks-Great Bar BQ-Great "Tex-Mex"-and Seafood (for my area)...but we have great restaraunts of all types of food.

I, myself, really enjoy a good ol' nieghborhood place (restaraunt), like we used to have alot of...back in the day. Over the years...I have found some of these places still around...although many of them aren't close to my nieghborhood!

6. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 6 years ago

Seafood, barbecue, and good ol' Southern soul food!

7. Polly C profile image87
    Polly Cposted 6 years ago

Anything, really. I don't eat out much, but I think most types of cuisine from all around the world are available in the area I live - Indian, Thai, traditional English, fast food, Mexican, Chinese, Lebanese, French, Italian, Spanish - and I'm sure there's much more. I am vegetarian, so I like to have a good choice of meat free dishes and prefer it if there is something other than cheese based dishes all the time. I really hate unfriendly service as well.

well. You tried all types of veggie food from the world best. It is true without good treatment, we can't enjoy food , which we are paying for.