jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (15 posts)

Fish Fish and More Fish

1. sim0n30 profile image61
    sim0n30posted 6 years ago

I spent the first part of my life staying clear of fish, but in the last couple of years i have branched out and started eating fish, then i found out i was allergic to prawns so swiftly gave up on shellfish.

What is your favourite fish to eat and how do you like it cooked?

1. RHinck profile image75
      RHinckposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I enjoy fresh ocean fish.  I grew up in Hawaii so it was part of our staple diet.  The most simple way of cooking a nice fresh fillet is with the LBG.. that's right; lemon, butter and garlic.  Saute in a little butter and minced garlic and at the end squeeze some lemon over the fish in the pan.  It gives you a very good sauce to go on the fish.

Another way I love fresh fish is raw.  Hawaiians make Poke (pronounced po-key) which is a fresh fish salad sort of like civeche, except without the lemon juice or coconut milk (though I like that style too!)  I like to use a nice firm fish like tuna, trevally or even lemon fish and cut it into cubes.  To that I add red pepper flakes, coarse sea salt, spring onions and a bit of sesame seed oil.  It is so simple yet so yummy.  It also goes well with beer on a hot summer's day. =]

The third way I like fish is Chinese-style poached fish.  My mom used to make this a lot when I was growing up.  She'd get a whole fresh snapper of some sort and poach it in very salty water.  Then she'd split it in half, remove the backbone and put freshly minced ginger, spring onion, and salted turnip (found in Chinese food places).  On top of that she'd throw some soy sauce and then very hot sesame seed oil to finish it with a sizzle.  Served with rice and whatever side dish you may want. 

I could go for some of that right now!

2. paradigmsearch profile image89
    paradigmsearchposted 6 years ago

Tuna, every which way.

Got to keep those mercury levels up to par. smile

3. 60
    ralph sabposted 6 years ago

I've been cooking all my adult life - a long time. One of the ways I made fish was sauted with a wine sauce which was good, and I probably would have continued doing it that way (the sauted fish made simultaneously with the sauce, sort of,) except my wife and I shared a fried fish in a restaurant in Dublin (I'm place name dropping) recently which changed the way I make that type of fish. It's really a trivial change which never occurred to me to make. Saute floured and dry spiced fish (tilapia, e.g.) in butter until brown on both sides, remove from pan, then make whatever sauce you want in the pan and pour it over fish. Simple and as elegant as you make the sauce.

4. Sab Oh profile image59
    Sab Ohposted 6 years ago

Fugu, and not cooked at all, with some nice hot hirezake.

5. lrohner profile image85
    lrohnerposted 6 years ago

My favorite is swordfish marinated in lime juice, freshly grated ginger and honey. Yum!

1. Eaglekiwi profile image73
      Eaglekiwiposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hi my friend smile
      Do let me know when swordfish is next on the menu in your house ..lol
      Sounds delcious!

6. Eaglekiwi profile image73
    Eaglekiwiposted 6 years ago

I was born close to the Pacific ocean and fish was a big part of our diet ( no supermarkets ) and before much of the  pollution spread, so I took it for granted and secretly felt hard done by ,not having packaged food etc, when I was young.

Check your labels well people since not all Seafood has the widely acclaimed Omega 3,however I will say this ,its the water that it comes from which should be more well-known.

For example I stay away from countries whose waters are known to be polluted ,regardless of how much Omega 3 it claims to have.

1. Sab Oh profile image59
      Sab Ohposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I was born near the Atlantic, and had to eat fish every Friday. Put me off it for a while, now I can't get enough!

7. Eaglekiwi profile image73
    Eaglekiwiposted 6 years ago

Waves to a fellow marine buddy then smile

My family was large ,so it was not uncommon for different meals to be on the go all on the same day ...A dad and five brothers who hunted the hills or fished the ocean late at night.

Often we ate fresh flounder on the beach around a fire, then we were shooed inside to wash all the sand off ,an slept like sunbaked crabs ,while they dragged nets for more fish.

What I begrudge now is having to pay alot of money for the same thing ,and having to inspect it myself lol,used to be a given that stores didnt sell unfresh fish,not anymore it seems.

8. camlo profile image83
    camloposted 6 years ago

I like sturgeon and sole best of all. I eat fish and other sea foods at least three times a week. Here in Cologne, deep frozen tastes better than fresh, because fresh isn't that fresh by the time it gets here ...

9. Nolapete profile image86
    Nolapeteposted 5 years ago

Just about any kind of fish except cod.  Fried catfish, every other kind grilled except flounder stuffed and broiled.

10. Pearldiver profile image87
    Pearldiverposted 5 years ago

Believe Me!
    You HAVEN'T Tasted Fish until you have tried BumbleTown Whitebait! smile
    I'm sure it's the Dioxen in the water that adds to the flavor of these 6 foot giants! hmm

11. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 5 years ago

Fried grouper sandwich

12. CYBERSUPE profile image62
    CYBERSUPEposted 5 years ago

Stuffed Squid.  My entire family loves this recipe.