jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (22 posts)

Would you eat "fresh" roadkill?

1. qwark profile image60
    qwarkposted 6 years ago

...I'd say, it depends on the species.
    How about you?

1. 6hotfingers3 profile image60
      6hotfingers3posted 6 years ago in reply to this

If I saw the roadkill (deer) hit by the vehicle. The answer is yes.

1. qwark profile image60
        qwarkposted 6 years ago in reply to this

..you bet!   :-)

2. qwark profile image60
    qwarkposted 6 years ago

This is a very important subject!
    Why no replies?

3. bojanglesk8 profile image60
    bojanglesk8posted 6 years ago

If I was deserted and starving, sure.

1. qwark profile image60

bo:
      ya can't think of a better reason?
      How about, if it's edible, pickin' it up and donating it to those who feed the poor?

4. profile image0
    DoorMattnomoreposted 6 years ago

I have. It was deer. Can't beat 30 pounds of free meat.

1. Druid Dude profile image61
      Druid Dudeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Define roadkill: Pancake roadkill...no.

1. profile image0
        DoorMattnomoreposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I was in the car that hit it. I felt bad, he just leapt out and basicly landed on our car. No way to avoid it. Its neck was broken, it died instantly. The cops said we could tag it (for free) and keep it. Since it had been freshly killed, we knew it was ok. It least it wasnt a compelte waste of life.
        I wouldn't eat something I just found on the road. I did meet man tho, who collects porcupine road kill, and uses the quills for art.

2. qwark profile image60

Doormat:
      Damned straight! Why waste good food?
      I love venison!

5. Karis29 profile image60
    Karis29posted 6 years ago

No way! You don't know what kind of disease those animals carry. I would not recommend anyone to even attempt it. lol
    "Just saying"....

6. timorous profile image91
    timorousposted 6 years ago

I'd probably feel so sorry for the critter, I just wouldn't have the heart to, especially if I was the cause of it.

There's also the concern over what other residue might have been on the road or the vehicle at the time, or what diseases, if any the critter may have.  Can't be too careful neutral

7. ilmdamaily profile image91
    ilmdamailyposted 6 years ago

Absolutely.

Found a pheasant on the side of the road not that long ago. Hit by a car presumably, still warm. Carcass in good condition. Plucked, gutted and washed, wrapped in foil with some herbs and thrown in a fire. Brilliant. Very fragrant meat.

Concerns over disease are generally unfounded. A little common sense is all that's needed. If the animal has been spread across the road then - of course - it's not fit to eat. But if you find an animal in good condition and are reasonably confident that it was killed by a vehicle, then go for it. A dead animal in the middle of nowhere...that's a different story. 

Investigate the state of the animal's liver and kidneys if you're concerned about any disease - it's usually pretty obvious if an animal was killed by illness.

Bon appetit ;-)

1. qwark profile image60

...be careful of rabbits in the summer with boils.
      Pheasant is delicious. I've shot and eaten many of them!

8. camlo profile image85
    camloposted 6 years ago

I couldn't possibly. I even find it hard to prepare to cook a chicken, because I can actually see what it is. A piece of meat of some description that doesn't actually resemble a dead animal (like Lady Gaga's dress, for example) is okay (not that I'd have eaten it). But to see a poor, dead animal that's been run over, then take it home to eat - no, I couldn't.

1. qwark profile image60

...then the insects, coyotes and buzzards will be well fed due to your "queezyness." (spelling..lol).

9. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 6 years ago

I could not eat Lady GaGa's dress - no.  But fresh, very fresh roadkill I could eat - almost anything except skunk, if dressed and cooked properly and if I was hungry enough.  Venison - always!  mmmmmm!

1. qwark profile image60

Mega..you are my kinda person!   :-)

1. mega1 profile image79
        mega1posted 6 years ago in reply to this

the secret is marinating it for 1/2 a day in spices and good red wine! then, depending on the cut grill on my Forman Grill - or slow cook in a crock pot with more wine and later add veggies - hungry again and I just ate!

1. qwark profile image60

..ya very seldom hit 'em but squirrel and muskrat are delicious in a stew. Ya gotta pressure cook the squirrel first, they are tougher'n hell. But muskrat is just like a small rabbit....deeeelishus....:-)

10. Hugh Williamson profile image88
    Hugh Williamsonposted 6 years ago

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/3987635_f248.jpg

mmmmmmmm ... no thanks.

1. qwark profile image60

hahahaha   I'll pass! (double yellow lines...illegal as hell.)  :-)

working