jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (16 posts)

Help Me Out With (Mint and Gum) Brand Names, Please

1. mythbuster profile image84
    mythbusterposted 6 years ago

I was recently in a corner store - then a gas station, then a convenience store - while on my way to go visit a friend who is allergic to sweeteners.

I like to carry and share gum, mints, candy, cough drops but in 3 stores, I could NOT find any gum or mints of any kind that didn't contain aspartame.

Call me lazy if you want but I'm asking that if any hubbers are also allergic to aspartame but have found brand names of mints, candy and gum that are sweetened with plain old sugar WITHOUT aspartame in them - please post in this thread.

I was floored to find out that products had sugar AS WELL AS aspartame in them - seriously - every product in the 3 stores had aspartame in them. The clerks/tellers (all 3 of them) did not know why I would be reading labels like I was doing at the time and were not able to help me find anything without said artificial sweetener.

Suggestions?

2. TheGlassSpider profile image75
    TheGlassSpiderposted 6 years ago

Right off the top of my head you might try Teaberry gum - I think it came out before aspartame, and is still made the way it used to be...but don't quote me. I'll look it up.

3. TheGlassSpider profile image75
    TheGlassSpiderposted 6 years ago

Blammo! Here you go: http://www.victoryseeds.com/candystore/ … berry.html

I love this gum personally - I haven't found another gum, ever, with its particular flavor.

mythbusterposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Looks like a cool brand, TGS! Do you know anywhere I can purchase via paypal?

1. TheGlassSpider profile image75
        TheGlassSpiderposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Why, Ebay, of course wink Check it out: http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_tr … Categories

4. bayoulady profile image67
    bayouladyposted 6 years ago

what about Altoid mints?

Have you checked the ingredients list on Altoids?

1. bayoulady profile image67
        bayouladyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

No...are they bad? I guess so, or you wouldn't have mentioned it.big_smile

I was simply asking if you know what is on the ingredients list for Altoids. I don't know if there is sugar or artificial sweetener in Altoids.

5. sabrinaaq profile image40
    sabrinaaqposted 6 years ago

Eclipse,Trident,Extra,Bubble Yum and Double Bubble.

All the flavours and packages of Trident and Extra I looked at (rows and rows on the shelves) had aspartame in it over here.

Forgot to mention - I am in Canada...

I will write down the other products for next time I am at a store. Will probably buy jumbo and family packs of stuff once I find items that don't contain aspartame.

6. RedElf profile image84
    RedElfposted 6 years ago

I gave up gum and mints years ago because of Aspartame. If any one finds something in Canada, please let me know, too.

RedElf, on the packages I checked out - there was SUGAR AND several artificial sweeteners in the same products...

7. RedElf profile image84
    RedElfposted 6 years ago

Actually, I think "Junior Mints" might be OK smile

8. WryLilt profile image86
    WryLiltposted 6 years ago

What about Spry? I personally bought it online so not sure where/if it's available in stores but it contains the following ingredients:

Xylitol, gum base, lemon & orange oils (natural flavors), banana & pineapple (artificial flavors), vegetable glycerin (humectant), gum Arabic (texturizer), non-GMO soy lecithin (emulsifier) & beeswax (glazing agent).

I originally bought it because Xylitol is good for teeth and gums.

I've never heard of this product but will have a look around in Canada for it.

working