jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (21 posts)

Beaujolais Nouveau

1. Princessa profile image84
    Princessaposted 6 years ago

Do you get a Beaujolais Nouveau in your country?  I have heard that the race to get the Beaujolais Nouveau out extends even to North America and Asia.  Do you get it in your part of the world?

1. habee profile image89
      habeeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It used to run rampant here in the South - until a vaccine was developed. Our strain of the disease was especially virulent, too!

Princessaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

lollollollol

2. EBS Writers profile image60
      EBS Writersposted 6 years ago in reply to this
  2. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago

yes, we do. it is always fun to see what the bottle looks like.

3. livelonger profile image88
    livelongerposted 6 years ago

I went to a beaujolais nouveau tasting event in Cincinnati years ago (event listing) - it was a lot of fun!

Fancy that!

This week you can see the "beaujolais nouveau est arrive" posters in most bars and restaurants around France.  It is like a contest of who tries it first smile and it is also a good occassion for some bars and restaurants to offer free degustations and attract more clients.

4. waynet profile image49
    waynetposted 6 years ago

Yes I get a boogieju noovo over here too, hic...and it's nice wine that's for sure! hic!

5. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago

a few years ago I was walking through the store when they were stocking the shelves and he gave me some of the empty boxes which are great for storage, and oh so groovy.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSf62hVhP5JJs5-jks3y4sHWlYi7azcEPvxglUEVXskfBfLpJJM-w

1. livelonger profile image88
      livelongerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Wow, that's really cool smile

1. rebekahELLE profile image91
        rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago in reply to this

it's the 2010 design. smile

1. livelonger profile image88
          livelongerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Sure beats plain brown cardboard!

6. Mighty Mom profile image91
    Mighty Momposted 6 years ago

Yep. BN is as much a part of November as Thanksgiving (for those who imbibe, of course).

7. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 6 years ago

Just stocked up for Thanksgiving.  When I lived in Indianapolis, the arrival of the year's BN was highly celebrated.  The first case arrived by hot air balloon.

lol I've heard about that.  They used to hire Concordes as well to get them to destination ASAP!  It is crazy the marketing around the beaujolais nouveau.  At least this year it is much better than last year's!

8. Princessa profile image84
    Princessaposted 6 years ago

Wow, that's fantastic how a wine can travel so fast!!!

http://i52.tinypic.com/kefexe.jpg

I've got my stock of BN yesterday.  Last year I waited too long (about a week) and I couldn't find a bottle worth its name in town!

9. megs78 profile image60
    megs78posted 6 years ago

huh?  never heard of it here in canada...whats so special about it, except that its 'nouveau'?

Good question...

I believe it is more a marketing campaign to get rid of excess wine -rather than anything else.  The wine itself is rather harsh, like  a new wine.  But it has become traditional.  Some French people wait for the arrival of the 3rd Thursday of November -when the Beaujolais Noveau appears- like children wait for the 25th of December!!  It is just a tradition smile

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60
        Ron Montgomeryposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Can't agree with that assessment.  Yes, it's over-hyped, but the product is unique and very tasty-especially in years where all the cosmic tumblers cooperate to produce an outstanding batch, as in the year 2000.

10. Anath profile image72
    Anathposted 6 years ago

I am trying it tonight wink I hope I like it...

11. MarkAse profile image62
    MarkAseposted 5 years ago

Kind of, but it certainly isn't as big here as it is in France.  It's hardly marketed and I'd guess only the most hardened American wine drinker would even know what it was.

As for the ability to tell more about a vintage, barrel tasting is so much more common in say Napa when compared to Bordeaux, there isn't a great of a need.

working