jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)

A great, easy marinade for beef:

1. habee profile image90
    habeeposted 6 years ago

I bought a couple of "el cheapo" steaks a couple of days ago. They had little marbling, and I knew they were going to be tough if I didn't "help them out." I marinated them overnight in Coca-Cola and Italian dressing, and they turned out great - tender and tasty!

1. sofs profile image87
      sofsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Is that real or are you joking... I am truly perplexed.. Coca - cola marinade?

1. habee profile image90
        habeeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I'm totally serious! I know it sounds strange, but the steaks were wonderful. Oh, I also added some black pepper and garlic to the marinade.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image84
      Uninvited Writerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I've heard about coca-cola marinade before... sounds very nice.

2. cindyvine profile image87
    cindyvineposted 6 years ago

I always use Coke with tough beef

1. habee profile image90

Good! Now I don't feel so crazy! lol

3. Lifeallstar1 profile image61
    Lifeallstar1posted 6 years ago

Thanks Habee! I want to try this. Can you tell me if the soda was reg, diet, caffeine, etc(not sure if it makes a difference)? And was the italian dressing in a bottle? Also, did you put roughly equals parts of the dressing and soda or just a splash of one or the other? Don't want to steal your secrets but I'm still a noobie when it comes to the kitchen and love trying cool tips.

1. habee profile image90

No secret! I used regular Coke and bottled Italian dressing. I pierced the steaks first and rubbed some meat tenderizer in them. I used more Coke than dressing - I'd guess it was about 4 to 1.

I like to use red wine for my beef marinade base, but I didn't have any and didn't want to make another trip to the store. I've used Coke with cured ham before, so I hoped it would work for beef, as well, and it did.

1. Lifeallstar1 profile image61
        Lifeallstar1posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Cool thanks!  I'm going to try it. big_smile

4. habee profile image90
    habeeposted 6 years ago

Hi, UW! It was really good. BTW, love your avatar pic!

5. TamCor profile image80
    TamCorposted 6 years ago

That sounds like a great combination--I'll have to try it, since I'd never thought about using Italian dressing... smile

I've used Coke for marinades before, though--my favorite is Coke and brown sugar for ham, yum!

I also have a terrific recipe using Coke in meatballs--that's a favorite in our house!

Thanks, habee!!!  big_smile

6. habee profile image90
    habeeposted 6 years ago

Hi, Tam. CUTE pic!! We just took some of my youngest grandson in his Santa hat. I need to put it in my avatar!

1. TamCor profile image80
      TamCorposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks habee! That's our oldest grandson, William...taken a couple of years ago now--he's an old guy of 5 1/2 now, lol...

working