jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

Have You Notice This About Your Keurig Machine?

1. GmaGoldie profile image85
    GmaGoldieposted 5 years ago

Trying to live frugally I have tried to use my Keurig machine in a frugal manner and squeeze a second cup of coffee out of the K-Cup.

I have found the second cup of tea tastes great but the coffee on the second try is horrible.

Have you tried this?

Is this enough money for you to switch to tea over coffee?

I am considering it.  My checkbook would be thankful.

Share with us your personal preferences.

1. blackjava profile image53
      blackjavaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

There is barely enough coffee in a k-cup for one decent cup let alone 2.
      Do what I did. Stop buying k-cups. Get the k-cup filter and buy your own preferred coffee. You can buy gourmet coffee from a roaster for less than $10 a pound. A k-cup holds about 1 tablespoon of coffee grounds. How many tablespoons are in a pound of coffee? K-cups are more than $0.60 per cup of coffee. Using your own coffee with the filter will run about $0.02 per cup.

1. GmaGoldie profile image85
        GmaGoldieposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Excellent advise.  Thank you!

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
        SomewayOuttaHereposted 5 years ago in reply to this

i found the filter didn't work very well...something about the design.  the one i had didn't lock tight so the coffee didn't pour out in a stream the way the kcups do ...rather it spilled over and created a bit of a mess...returned the filter.  was it just my filter i wonder....i just use this system at work not at home because of the expense...for work it's simple and there's no waste of making a pot of coffee and tossing out half of it.

1. sunforged profile image68
          sunforgedposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I have yet to get the filter to be anywhere near as good as a kcup, the pressure isnt nearly as strong I imagine.

I just use a french press when im out of kcups - the hot water from the Keurig works just as well w/ the french press, I also use it to heat baby bottles

2. sunforged profile image68
    sunforgedposted 5 years ago

owning a keurig machine and then switching over to tea would completely defeat the purpose for me.

I will sometimes run a cup twice, if i use the small cup setting I dont think the second cup tastes disgusting, but, I drink Dark magic, Espresso Blend and other very dark and bold options.

The frugal part for me is that the .50 cents I pay at home gives me a cup of coffee on par with the 3.00 I would spend at Starbucks or the local gourmet shop.

If you just use a Keurig for tea, you might as well return it and buy a $20 hot water dispenser instead.

3. Pcunix profile image89
    Pcunixposted 5 years ago

You can find K-cups for a lot less than 50 cents. Some brands/flavors come in 80 ct boxes at considerable  savings  - you just need room to store them. We find those at BJ's; I imagine Costco has them too.

For the stuff I can't find that way, I shop around, coffeewiz, cofeeecow, there are dozens of these places  and they are always having some sort of promotion and free shipping at $50 or so.

4. sunforged profile image68
    sunforgedposted 5 years ago

I used to be on the Green mountain coffee club subscription but they were always substituting stuff w/o my approval.

In general it seemed CoffeeCow has the best all round online prices.

One of the Joys of the Keurig for me is the variety of options I can have on hand at all times.

eBay is a pretty good resource also -

Outside of ebay, I havent really found a deal much better than .50/ea on the brands/styles I  like

I do see Sams club offers 80 ct boxes for 34.00 - but, Im an anti-walmart type

1. Pcunix profile image89
      Pcunixposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Coffeewiz 4+ price is 10.99 per box of 24, which is .45

CoffeeCow is $1 more, but if you buy $100 at a time, you get 5% "Cowbucks" which can trim your next order, but still doesn't beat Cofeewiz.

But sometimes you can even find better and sometimes you can beat people up on the phone a little too.

5. GmaGoldie profile image85
    GmaGoldieposted 5 years ago

Thank you very much!  I learned allot.

6. 61
    crankygrandmaposted 5 years ago

I bought a machine from costco and have had problems with all 4 . They start out fine but after using it less than a dz. times it will not dispense the proper amount of coffee,so I have cleaned everything including descaling,clean the needle and here I am again, I have lots of product, but Im frustated, I am going to return this one yet again , this being the 4th in a years time, I use filtered fridge water . any suggestions appreciated