Unconventional Foods. What is the most unusual food you've tried?

Jump to Last Post 1-28 of 28 discussions (46 posts)
  1. Iontach profile image68
    Iontachposted 13 years ago

I've always loved to try new and 'strange' types of foods whenever available.
    I say the most different type of food I've tried was probably Crocodile?! I've also tried Ostrich and Antelope which at the time I thought were CRAZY.
    I got the idea for this forum when I was watching I'm a Celebrity, Get me Out of Here, eating worms and grubs...yummm sad

So What would you consider the most different/strange/exotic/unusual type of food you've eaten before?

1. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've tried ostrich and kangaroo

1. rcrm89 profile image65
        rcrm89posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm eating Kangaroo quite regularly at the moment.

It's good stuff - much cheaper and leaner than beef and I don't find it's taste offensive at all.

2. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

brains - served up my my mother when I was a kid.  They were crumbed and were fried, and were white & tasted like chicken - called sweetbreads.  Of course, I was turned off when I found out what it really was.
      I didn't eat the ox-tongue she served up - I could see the tastebuds

3. profile image0
      just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I ate dog once, while in Asia. I was forced to do it, to be polite. Luckily, it was dredged in a thick mixture of some type of ground hot peppers and soy sauce, so it was so hot it kept my mind off of what I was eating.

4. kcreery profile image59
      kcreeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've tried alligator before.  I didn't really like it.  I've had kangaroo as well.  I found the meat a bit tough.  rcrm89 seems to like Kangaroo though.

5. aslanlight profile image64
      aslanlightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The strangest looking food I've tried is celariac, an ugly vegetable, in fact some people won't try it because it's ugly but it's lovely!

6. eandrseaton profile image61
      eandrseatonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Bondegi, a korean snack, silkwork chrysalis, yep that's right!  Most servings by a foreigner at that particular stand that the elderly gentleman had ever seen in Pusan, South Korea!

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I've eaten gator a few times here in Florida. It's very good.
    We have restaurants here called Gators or AlliGators and gator bites are a popular appetizer.

a long time ago, I ate a chocolate covered ant while at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago. big_smile

1. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I love those fried alligator nuggets! YUM!

3. emievil profile image68
    emievilposted 13 years ago

This is not for me but I think other people find it weird to eat our balot - duck's fertilized egg smile.

4. Ohma profile image59
    Ohmaposted 13 years ago

Rattle snake is probably my strangest but eel and shark are on the list as well.

1. emievil profile image68
      emievilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I love eel smile.

5. profile image53
    Slushyposted 13 years ago

I think the weirdest thing I've eaten taste-wise was some sweet-sour thing cooked at our school canteen... I hate sweet-sour big_smile

Also I'm not that experimental when it comes to food, but I think kangaroo or austrich and all that stuff wouldn't be too bad tongue

6. Lady Rose profile image73
    Lady Roseposted 13 years ago

My mom used to cook lambs testicles sometimes. She would bread them and deep fry. They taste just like brains. Delicious.

I have eaten Camel meat in Morocco, and i love it. Also i was once ofered goat's eyes as a special treat, while visiting some Berber friends in their village in Morocco. They are crunchy and rubbery, similar to octopus but harder to chew.

In Taiwan, every newcomer is kind of forced to try -at least once- "stinky tofu". Locals love it, but the stench is so strong that it turns you off from far away if there is a vendor selling it. The taste is fine, but the smell is atrocious. Yuck.

1. The Blagsmith profile image70
      The Blagsmithposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sounds similar to nato in Japan - which is soya beans allowed to go off like milk for yoghurt. It is used to go with boiled rice as a staple addition.

It stinks like mouldy old socks but I did eventually try it - it is so-so tastewise.

7. skyblugurll1 profile image60
    skyblugurll1posted 13 years ago

I have had goat at this really swell Indian place here in Milwaukee..i couldn't believe how delish it was!!  I have also had: shark, chocolate covered crickets, ostrich, "rocky mountain oysters" (bull testicles) chicken feet, cow's tongue, many types of sushi, bear, buffalo, seaweed, exotic fruits, kidneys (didn't like the texture AT ALL!!) and that's about it!  I'm pretty adventurous!

8. SomewayOuttaHere profile image59
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

...macdonalds was pretty darn strange...tried a 'burg a long time ago...not sure what it contained...don't want to know either....sorry silly ole' Ronald McD with the silly smile...ooooh and the stench is out of this world...

9. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

eye balls of pig from a luau I did. tasted kind of like liver.

10. cathylynn99 profile image76
    cathylynn99posted 13 years ago

sea cucumber in a chinese restaurant was okay. seaweed, fried beetles (tasted like peanuts) and hippo meat in biology class.

1. Christy Goff profile image60
      Christy Goffposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A sucker with a scorpion in it.  And it was still better than squid.

11. lovelypaper profile image58
    lovelypaperposted 13 years ago

Fried Gator tails. They were surprizingly good.

12. lovelypaper profile image58
    lovelypaperposted 13 years ago

Fried Gator tails. They were surprizingly good.

1. dannycarrey profile image67
      dannycarreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

it tastes like? can you compare to something?

13. The Blagsmith profile image70
    The Blagsmithposted 13 years ago

Hmmm, in my case it was not so much tried but left. I am British but moved to Japan with my Japanese wife and two young children last September.

I knew for that Christmas I was not going to have the conventional turkey and brussel sprouts. However, what I was faced with was bloated fish which had split whilst cooking to reveal its undeveloped eggs and it was served like that and this is enjoyed by many Japanese but alas not this Englishman.

Personally, I would rather try gator or snake.

The Blagsmith

1. sharing the sky profile image70
      sharing the skyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That must've been quite a sight. I don't think I'm familiar with that particular dish even though my mother is Japanese and I've visited Japan multiple times. I hope you have found other enjoyable things in Japan as they do, in my opinion, create some great dishes there.

14. sharing the sky profile image70
    sharing the skyposted 13 years ago

The most unusual were some chewy alligator pieces I sampled at an Australian restaurant once. They tasted alright as they were battered and apparently deep-friend but quite chewy. I wasn't totally impressed but I hear (and see on this hub) that alligator can be quite tasty.

1. The Blagsmith profile image70
      The Blagsmithposted 13 years agoin reply to this

To be frank if I was presented with that fish now though it may not be desirable I would probably eat it, as fresh fish is becoming very rare during the earthquake crisis. Where there is need, there is no option.

1. sharing the sky profile image70
        sharing the skyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, it's definitely a sobering reality. Hope you and your family can stay safe!

15. Cardisa profile image88
    Cardisaposted 13 years ago

Where I come from it's very hard to eat certain foods or you would become an outcast, so the most exotic foods that I've tried without losing family and friends are (1)octopus, (2)eel, (3)turtle, (4) conk, (5)a shrub we call Spanish Needles that is only eaten by animals

Oh I just remembered, my mom gave me shark once - loved that!

16. Supercellbaebe profile image60
    Supercellbaebeposted 13 years ago

I ate Casu Marzu cheese when I was in Bulgaria.  This is a Sardinian sheep milk cheese, with live maggots in it! 

If you ignore the fact that you eat live maggots it is actually quite delicious, very strong indeed.  smile 

It is a delicacy! 

xxx

17. NateSean profile image66
    NateSeanposted 13 years ago

The sad thing is, I can't top a single food item mentioned here. It all sounds very appetizing though. (Except for the maggots bit. My mind may be open, but my stomach is very bigoted)

18. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

kraft dinner big_smile

19. Ryn Taylor profile image60
    Ryn Taylorposted 13 years ago

Chocolate covered cricket.  It wasn't bad, but I felt like I had little bits of it stuck in my throat and teeth (I know I didn't, it was just in my head).

Just recently I've tried emu and it was delicious.  I'm going to have to find some more.  It was done like a summer sausage with cheese bits mixed in.

20. linda141 profile image57
    linda141posted 13 years ago

The most unusual food i have tried was a Beef Tongue taco
    It is very tasty.
    You can add cilantro and onions on a corn tortilla.

21. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

I have eaten whichetty grubs, which are supposed to taste OK. They don't!

22. Bellamie profile image60
    Bellamieposted 13 years ago

someone double dared me to try uni.  i tried it and it tasted nasty to me.  thats sea urchin for those that dont know.

23. Matt in Jax profile image62
    Matt in Jaxposted 13 years ago

Definitely not as strange or out there as some people's responses, but I've tried a little bit of gator which wasn't bad and kalamari which I didn't much care for.

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I love calamari!

I've had gator also, gator bites.  They're not too bad. They have restaurants here called AlliGators.

1. camlo profile image83
        camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We had a shop here that sold alligator and kangaroo meat - I couldn't possibly ...
        I dared to try a frog's leg once, and found it revolting. Okay, it was like very tender chicken - and I love chicken - but that almost transparent, needle thin little frog bone that was left. No ...

2. Matt in Jax profile image62
        Matt in Jaxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know in Madeira Beach by St. Pete, FL at Gators, they used to serve up gator.

24. profile image0
    janellelkposted 13 years ago

deep fried grasshopper from a street vendor in asia.  tasted like bacon bits..  the idea definitely turned my stomach.

25. profile image0
    janellelkposted 13 years ago

oh and that fermented boiled egg thing..  where they bury the egg under the ground for x amount of time and it's all black inside.

26. Cotsy profile image59
    Cotsyposted 12 years ago

I'll eat most things and love most things but TRIPE, sour cream and soft cheeses are No No's for me.  Most unusual maybe crispy prawn shells, any offal and the worst tripe saussicons in France.

27. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 12 years ago

Rattlesnake. And fried turtle.

And for the poster who asked about gator tail: To me, it tastes like a combination of pork, fish, and chicken.

Shark was also mentioned. We eat shark fairly often, and if you know how to prepare it,it's delicious!

28. Auto Buddy profile image56
    Auto Buddyposted 12 years ago

Live Meal Worms

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)