jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Two Women Without Reservations Dining in Chicago

1. GmaGoldie profile image86
    GmaGoldieposted 5 years ago

Yesterday my best friend took me to Chicago, before seeing Wicked we thought we would stop in for a bite to eat.  It was 4:30 and the hostess said she would seat us but she needed the table back by 5:30.

Dutifully we left at the 5:30 mark but I was rather offended when we left they were filling up but not busy.

What is your take on this?  Is this part of the urban culture and I should have expected this or this offensive as we are paying full price for our meals....

Your thoughts?

2. Hestia DeVoto profile image62
    Hestia DeVotoposted 5 years ago

I have a friend in Chicago, but when I visit her, we don't eat downtown, so I've never had needing a reservation or anything like that be an issue.

3. brimancandy profile image82
    brimancandyposted 5 years ago

Did you report that to a restaurant manager? I have never heard of such a thing. What if the kitchen is really slow and you get your food with only half of the time to eat it? I have been in many restaurants in Chicago, and If they are full, I usually just go someplace else. I won't wait for a table, unless I really want to eat there. But, never really had a problem.

One thing I have heard about is a restaurant where the hostess seats you and there is an alarm clock at your table, once the alarm clock goes off you have to leave if you are done with your meal or not. But, I think they wait until you get your order to set it.

I guess they had a lot of problems with local businessmen going in there and having 3 and four hour meetings over just coffee, and the establishment was losing a lot of money on people wanting to buy meals because they had several groups of businessmen in there with a majority of them just having water.
    And, not tipping the waitresses when they leave.

I remember that place saying their profits went up 200 percent because the businessmen no longer showed up. And, the ones that still came actually started ordering and tipping. So, I guess it was a good thing for them. Not so great for those who complain.

I would eat somewhere else. That's too much pressure.

1. GmaGoldie profile image86
      GmaGoldieposted 5 years ago in reply to this

That is what I was wondering - if I owned the restaurant I wouldn't necessarily want that but you are right the businessmen with 3 hour meetings would be problematic - seeing that side of the coin makes a big difference. 

I took offense because I felt IF I were with my husband she would not have stated that but maybe she would have - if the businessman thing is problematic and with urban space the way it is - that makes sense.

Thanks for shedding light on the urban culture.

Country Girl - GmaGoldie

4. tritrain profile image77
    tritrainposted 5 years ago

I thought there was going to be a punch line.