Does This Rabbit Taste Like Tires?

1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

the writer,Katherine Price, tells about her fascination with road kill and wonders why people don't eat it..
    read the article..

...."Objectively, the rabbit tasted fine—if a bit salty—and I ate the loin without too much trouble. (The legs were a bit stringy.) It was good to deal firsthand with the realities of where meat comes from. And I suppose a true Alice Waters devotee could argue that road kill is just country-speak for "foraged." But I'm not sure I would do this again. The next time I come across an animal on the side of the road, I'm going to keep in mind a point our friend made when we described how much of the rabbit had ended up in the trash: that when it comes to eating road kill, vultures are much more efficient."
      i guess if you get the animal just after its' killed and bleed it,skin it and wash it well ,it would be a viable food source?.....roll

1. 0
      Kathryn LJposted 5 years ago in reply to this

According to Hugh Fernly-Whittingstall, it's perfectly acceptable to cook and eat fresh road kill.  Rabbit should be soaked in salted water for 12 hours plus before cooking.  If it has been very badly crushed, extensive bleeding due to injury may make the meat unpalatable, unless it is soaked to cleanse it.  However, rabbit is classed as game and if you can't hang it, intact for 24 hours it will be tough and require slow cooking if you haven't done the soaking thing.  Yum smile