jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Have You Tried Canned Peas without Salt?

1. GmaGoldie profile image86
    GmaGoldieposted 5 years ago

I have had to manage my salt since 1976 when I had open heart surgery.  I have written and tried to encourage others to lessen their salt intake.  I was thrilled when the dietary guidelines were changed.

Now I find on the grocery store shelf - canned peas without salt!

Absolutely wonderful!

Has anyone tried these?

My brand was DelMonte - simply look for the red label - No Salt Added!

1. Pcunix profile image91
      Pcunixposted 5 years ago in reply to this

No, but I'm happy to see it.

I have no health need to avoid salt, but it is so over used that I avoid it where I can.

2. 0
      Brenda Durhamposted 5 years ago in reply to this

No salt??

OH no!

Well, they'll just hafta pry the salted peas from my cold dead pea-green fingers!  LOL

I'm just kidding!

I'm a salt lover, but have just recently started trying to decrease my salt intake.  My doc says my cholesterol is a little high...

I've not tried the unsalted ones, but maybe I will.  I do like fresh and frozen peas the best anyway, and use less salt on those......but then, I usually load those down with butter, so I think that might cancel out the entire purpose...

I'm glad there are the healthier choices on the grocery shelves now for you and that you apparently have been living a healthy life after your open heart surgery!

2. leahlefler profile image98
    leahleflerposted 5 years ago

It is good to know the no-salt-added canned peas have a decent taste to them. We're not fans of canned peas in general (we go for the frozen variety), but we also try to keep things as healthy as possible. We have two little guys who learn their dietary habits from us, so we have to set a good example!

3. Midnight Oil profile image90
    Midnight Oilposted 5 years ago

Fresh peas for me every time... Tinned and frozen peas are awful and full of god knows what !

1. ravko profile image60
      ravkoposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I don't use salt on any of my food, never have don't like the taste, and for vegetables I eat frozen mostly except for the cream corn, no salt in canned vegetables is the way to go

4. Bellamie profile image60
    Bellamieposted 5 years ago

okay, first of all they are canned!  yuck!  secondly, they are soft and mushy!  So the thirdly thing about no salt is irrelavant.  Try frozen with Mrs. Dash.