jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Prep Time on Electric Stove/Oven vs Gas Stove/Oven-Difference?

1. Michael Willis profile image77
    Michael Willisposted 5 years ago

I have always seen a difference in the cooking time with foods depending on whether I was using an electric stove top, burners or a gas stove. Same with Electric/Gas ovens.
    When I use a cook time from a package or recipe on my electric stove or oven, I am always adding more time and tasting to see if the food is ready.
    I was wondering if anyone had an idea about how much time to add to preparation for cooking on electric cook-tops? Ovens?

2. lrohner profile image84
    lrohnerposted 5 years ago

I've never seen much of a difference between a gas or electric oven -- in fact, I prefer electric ovens. But there is a big difference between the two on the stovetop.

Gas burners heat up and cool down immediately, so you can cook foods precisely. With an electric stovetop, I usually turn on the burner a few minutes before I'm going to start cooking and wait for it to be hot before I begin. And I dread the "bring to a boil, then turn to low and simmer for X minutes..." recipes with an electric stovetop. What I usually do is when the liquid comes to a boil, I actually remove the pan from the stovetop, turn the burner down and then wait a minute or two before putting it back on the stove.

3. Michael Willis profile image77

I know what you mean there. When heat is turned down on an electric stove, it takes time for the heat to actually go down. Adding thus to the time cooking.
    I miss my gas stove. lol

4. Coffee_writer profile image57
    Coffee_writerposted 5 years ago

I too am missing my gas stove sad I had to give it up when I moved to a different part of the country (without natural gas). Personally not only have I noticed a difference in prep time, but also the temperature control just doesn't seem to have the same degree of finesse.

5. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 5 years ago

There's even differences from oven to oven with different electric models, or gas ones too.  In the end, you need a good external thermometer to check temperatures and then just put in the time to learn how individual ovens cook.

6. Michael Willis profile image77

I have seen that also Relache. I try to make notes on recipes I may use from others to "remind me" of the time difference.