jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

1. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 5 years ago

Does anyone know and wish to share the 11 herbs and spices used by KFC for their chicken?

1. 0
      Home Girlposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Too much. Salt and black pepper is enough.

1. camlo profile image83
        camloposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree, but what about Chicken Kiev with lemon and garlic - delicious! I actually ate it for the first time in Russia, and it's been one of my favourite chicken recipes ever since.

2. CJ Andrews profile image88
      CJ Andrewsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Well - I can't find the spicy chicken.  I don't think I have had KFC for since 1996 or so.  I don't eat out much.  But I did find this:

KFC Original Fried Chicken
      2−3 pounds cut−up chicken pieces
      1 Quart Water
      3 tablespoons Salt (for soaking)
      1 cup milk
      1 egg, beaten
      2 cups flour
      1 teaspoon Accent (MSG)
      1 tablespoon salt
      1 teaspoon black pepper
      Soybean Oil (no substitutions) for frying
      Allow chicken to soak in salted water for a half hour.
      Mix egg and milk in a bowl. Mix flour, Accent, salt, and pepper
      in another bowl. Preheat deep fryer to 350F, or place 3/4 inch
      oil in a skillet set on medium.
      Dry chicken with paper towels. Dredge in flour mixture, place in
      milk/eggs, and then back to flour mixture. Do this one piece at
      a time making sure that there is total coverage over entire
      surface of chicken in each step.
      KFC uses pressure cookers to fry chicken, which is risky to do
      at home. If you are using a deep fryer, fry a few pieces at a
      time for about 20 minutes, covered, turning occasionally.
      Likewise, if pan frying, cook, covered, turning occasionally
      for about 30 minutes. As always with chicken, check the middle
      of a large piece to check for doneness.
      Allow to drain on paper towels when cooking is completed.

2. DaveysRecipeRead profile image59
    DaveysRecipeReadposted 5 years ago

Hi Dave,
    although Home Girl didn't answer your question she does have a point.
    Nevertheless this secret is one that's been kept better than the best top government secret of any country.
    Only the Byzantine Greeks with their  secret war weapon "greek Fire" did a better job of keeping a secret 'secret'.
    And finding an answer to your question has been the source of frustration and futility for generations of KFC fans.
    Certainly msg is in it. Salt & pepper too. But who really knows after that?

3. Joy56 profile image61
    Joy56posted 5 years ago

I bought some chicken yesterday and would love a nice new recipe but not too spicy..... but i suppose that does not answer your question.

1. DaveysRecipeRead profile image59
      DaveysRecipeReadposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hi Joy56,
      Dave Mathews question and Home Girls hang to simple but good solutions set my beanie to buzzing (beanie to buzzing?) and I came up with my own version of "spicy original",  but that's a Hub still in the making.
      However I do have another  very tasty alternative recipe that is fast and simple.
      Do this to your chicken and it's sure to taste good (but it still won't be KFC Spicy or Original - let's face it - the Colonel just kicks).
      Here's a very tasty alternative with guaranteed results;
      Chop some fresh parsley (just the leaves and just enough to fill a coffee cup to about a third) and fresh garlic (two cloves) till it's all really fine.
      Salt your chicken with granulated sea salt  (it's tastier if you grind it yourself).
      Sea salt is preferred over normal because it has flavor, not just saltiness. It is a safe alternative to monosodium glutamate (Msg) which is generously used on KFC chicken.
      Lightly flour your chicken by placing a Sifter onto a plate and then adding your flour into the Sifter (the purpose of the plate is to cut down on making an unnecessary mess) then sift just a bit on both sides of each piece of your chicken (which should all be laid out on a plate or Butcher's block).
      Keep your parsley-garlic mix at ready while you brown your chicken briefly on both sides in good, non-bitter olive oil at high, but not maximum heat.
      Once both sides are a bit brown, distribute your garlic parsley mix over your chicken.
      Directly after distribution of the mix, use two spatulas to turn the chicken pieces around till the parsley-garlic mix is distributed on each piece of chicken. Reduce the heat to low and cover for 10 minutes. After the 10 minutes remove the top and allow to cook for  5 minutes more. Serve and enjoy.
      Also when salting chicken do so generously because chicken needs a bit more salt that other meats, but add less to smaller pieces such as wings.

4. Joy56 profile image61
    Joy56posted 5 years ago

thanks so much i will try that tonight.

5. eatlikenoone profile image84
    eatlikenooneposted 5 years ago

Can anyone's tongue actually pinpoint a single herb or spice that is in their chicken? I don't think mine ever has.