jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

FDA proposes calorie counts on menus

1. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

FDA proposes calorie counts on menus

BY MARY CLARE JALONICK (Associated Press)
    Originally Published: Saturday, April 02, 2011
    Updated: Saturday, April 02, 2011

WASHINGTON (AP) — It could get harder to indulge in a double cheeseburger and fries without feeling guilty.

Menu labeling requirements proposed Friday by the Food and Drug Administration will require chain restaurants with 20 or more locations, along with bakeries, grocery stores, convenience stores and coffee chains, to clearly post the calorie count for each item on their menus.

"We've got a huge obesity problem in this country and it's due in part to excess calorie consumption outside the home," says Mike Taylor, FDA deputy commissioner for foods. "Consumers generally when you ask them say they would prefer to have that information."

The new rules will apply to menus, both in restaurants and drive-through lanes. They will also apply to vending machines if calorie information isn't already visible on the package.

The calorie counts will apply to an estimated 280,000 establishments and could be on menus by 2012. Required as part of health overhaul legislation signed into law last year, they are designed to give restaurant diners information that has long been available on packaged goods cooked at home. The FDA estimates that a third of calories are consumed by eating out.

read the rest
    http://www.reliablenews.com/e70006-fda- … enus?cat=2

I'd love this but it may cause restaurants to lose business...what do you think?wink

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image93
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'm so pleased to find that one of our government agencies is so concerned about Americans while other parts of the world haven't been "made safe for democracy," and lack a good old Zion controlled central banking system!

2. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago

We have had it in Canada for years, no one loses business. Most people ignore it smile

1. Mikeydoes profile image78
      Mikeydoesposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I can't imagine it being much different here in the US. I'm sure it may help people in managing their weight.

3. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 5 years ago

"FDA proposes calorie counts on menus".
    Fairly ridiculous. Most people can't count.
    Maybe restaurants should be required to post warnings on their menus like cig packages. 'The Rib-eye steak may cause heart disease'.

4. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 5 years ago

Now that's what we need!  Another govt regulation forcing business to provide something that no one wants or will use.

I wonder if they really think anyone will read the things or use them for healthy eating if they do?  Can they be that stupid?

5. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago

But sometimes it would be good to know hom many calories these foods have.

6. Cagsil profile image82
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

If a person wants to watch their calorie intake, then it's their choice. Forcing a company to display something on their menus, forces the company to spend money on ridiculous things. That money spent will most certain be passed on to the consumer, in price increases. The company isn't going to shrink it's profits, because government wants to control citizens.

Those people who it matters to, already know ahead of time, what they are putting into their body. The rest, just enjoy eating the food.

If someone gets overweight, then the responsibility to get back to a healthy weight for themselves, remains with and on them. If they choose to ignore their responsibility to themselves, then that is their choice.

Just my thoughts. smile