jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (21 posts)

What to use with lamb to take that strong smell away

1. profile image0
    CollBposted 5 years ago

I've often found that when I cook lamb, it has that strong, meaty smell which is still noticeable after I've sprinkled a bit more salt over it during the cooking process.

Is there anything I can use to really reduce the strong meaty smell that lamb has?

1. Gordon Hamilton profile image96
      Gordon Hamiltonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

CollB - I am honestly not trying to be funny but the danger in attempting something like this is that you spoil the actual meat itself. Cooking meats fresh does occasionally have slightly unpleasant consequences but the overall benefits should more than repay your sacrifice.

In a practical sense, you could try parsley as this herb is well known for reducing the odours of other foodstuffs, especially garlic.

Personally, I would recommend only that you ensure full ventilation of your kitchen where the delicious odour of cooking lamb is an issue and allow your meat to cook properly as nature intended.

Best wishes,

Gordon

1. profile image0
        CollBposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hi Gordon thanks for that suggestion.  I like lamb but it can really smell strong.  I'll try that parsley idea.  Sometimes I use garlic but that leaves a lingering taste in my mouth afterwards.

Full ventilation.  That's a good thing - until a neighbouring cat comes wandering through - not to mention insects during the summer!

Thanks again for this - much appreciated.

2. Greek One profile image79
      Greek Oneposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I strongly suggest taking the wool off first

1. profile image0

Haha...that's where the smell's coming from...no wonder wool has to be 'cured' haha.  Thanks for a Friday cheer!

2. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 5 years ago

Im a Kiwi living in the USA and I have missed that smell so much !!

Rosemary is very popular.

Also you might want to google Greek lamb recipes too.

Ok Im jealous now.

Shall I bring a Shirazz or perhaps Pinot Gris smile from Martinborough -NZ

1. eatlikenoone profile image84
      eatlikenooneposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Rosemary does sound like a good idea!

1. recommend1 profile image72
        recommend1posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Rosemary is the herb of choice in every country for negating that animal smell and taste - except where combinations of black pepper and red chilli pepper are used such as in BBQ - which is delicious but hot as hell.

1. profile image0

Nice one.  I'm all for rosemary as I like the taste of it - the black pepper and red chilli combo sounds like a good idea too, thanks for this additional suggestion.

2. profile image0

Yes definitely.  Rosemary has many beneficial qualities too and can be used in stews.

2. profile image0

Rosemary.  Yes that's a nice idea.  Now that you mention Greek recipes, I've tried kleftico and it is delicious - the lamb isn't overwhelming the other flavours - thanks for this reminder. 

I like the taste of lamb but the smell during the  cooking of it can be really overpowering.

3. Urbane Chaos profile image91
    Urbane Chaosposted 5 years ago

"Is there anything I can use to really reduce the strong meaty smell that lamb has?"

1.) Get it neutered.
    2.) Stop sniffin' smelly lambs.

I simply couldn't resist.

1. profile image0

You are funny, LOL.

Thanks for commenting - made my day!  I'll remember this when cooking lamb LOL.  Cheers!

4. transinata profile image80
    transinataposted 5 years ago

Im using papaya leaf.
    Collect some, mix it with water and make juice.
    put it on lamb meat for 1 hour and the smell will be away.

http://tinypic.zzl.org/imgs/signature_image1.jpg

1. profile image0

A suggestion I haven't heard of before!  Thank you for this excellent suggestion - I'll have to try this as lamb is nice but cooking it is something else LOL.

5. Will Apse profile image91
    Will Apseposted 5 years ago

Good heavens! If you don't like the smell of meat, don't eat it.

1. profile image0

Haha!  I'd be missing out on some superb burger dishes, I can tell you!

It's just the cooking of lamb that really makes the kitchen 'smelly'!  Thanks anyway for your comment.

6. Uninvited Writer profile image84
    Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago

I love the smell of cooking lamb. I usually rub it with rosemary, olive oil and garlic.

1. profile image0

Yes, lamb smells fine but it can be really overpowering and that's when I think, 'how can I cook it so that it doesn't smell the place out!'  Thanks for the suggestion and as with the others, they're superb 'mints' (LOL).

7. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 5 years ago

Cook chicken instead.

1. profile image0

I love chicken too and yes I know what you mean, there isn't that pongy smell that lingers in the kitchen for a while, LOL but I've to say I eat chicken more and sometimes I like a change.

working