jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (12 posts)

Anyone like Bison meat?

1. eatlikenoone profile image84
    eatlikenooneposted 5 years ago

Has anyone here made or eaten bison meat before? I recently tried some 100% bison hot dogs as well as I made pot roast using a bison chuck roast. I was happy with both of them.

1. qwark profile image59
      qwarkposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I took my son to the "Badlands" of S Dakota.
      A place there served "buffalo" hambugers. They were delish and much lower on fat than "beef."
      The "plains" indians ate well before we killed most of the buffalo off.
      We should be raising buffalo rather than cattle for consumption. The meat is high in protein, low in fat and delish!
      Of course if we did, we'd add steroids to feed to make 'em bigger and not healthful.
      We seem to screw up just about everythng we touch to make an xtra "buck!"

eatlikenooneposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I totally agree with you. The pursuit of an extra buck has screwed up a lot of food in this country.

2. OutWest profile image60
      OutWestposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Bison is great tasting as long as it's not overcooked, which is easy to do. I also like elk...very tasty.

2. Aficionada profile image94
    Aficionadaposted 5 years ago

Not far from here (i.e., within about 30 miles) there is a very large bison herd.  It was started by a cardiologist (or possibly a heart surgeon - I forget which) who wanted to be able to recommend to his patients a tasty source of nourishment that was low in fat, high in protein.  I think the meat is more expensive than beef is - but then, poor health is even more expensive!!!

It has been a treat to me, through the years, to drive by the herd, watch it grow, watch the babies, and see how all are moved around from pasture to pasture.  So far, no steroids that I know about!  That would surely defeat the cardiologist's purpose.

But, to the original question - I haven't eaten any of it!  I also eat very little beef.

eatlikenooneposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You make a great point about poor health being even more expensive. That's really cool that the heart surgeon or cardiologist did that.

3. 0
    Emile Rposted 5 years ago

I haven't had bison steak,  but I buy bison burger at the store all the time. Its a little pricier than ground chuck; but worth it. We like it a lot.

4. CyclingFitness profile image91
    CyclingFitnessposted 5 years ago

I've had a bison burger- very nice

Though my king of meats at present is Osterich! Tasty and ultra low fat

5. RTalloni profile image87
    RTalloniposted 5 years ago

Bison is a great alternative to beef, particularly because it is ordinarily raised healthier, meaning better taste.  It's good.

6. Mrs. Menagerie profile image80
    Mrs. Menagerieposted 5 years ago

Yup...I own 2 restaurants which both serve bison in various ways...burgers, steaks, meatloaf, meatballs and even a bolognese sauce.  We also do elk, pheasant and other local Montana fare.  Bison is awesome, flavorful and lean.  It should never taste "gamey."

7. kerryg profile image89
    kerrygposted 5 years ago

I love bison steak, bison burgers, bison stew, bison roast... It's one of my favorite meats. smile

8. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 5 years ago

We can get bison and elk meat here at the market, seems to be  more available. There are some people near us who have about six of the animals-- (I think they are more pets than meat, though they may have raised some for the market.) It's always fun to drive by their ranch and see the animals.

I have cooked ground bison and it is good, but probably overcooked it a bit. As people have said, less fat means it can be a little dry if overdone.
    My husband has a cousin in Canada who has been raising bison for meat for quite a few years.