Deep Freezing and Food Safety

1. Gordon Hamilton profile image97
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 5 years ago

Yesterday, I happened to be in a large retail park for an unrelated purchase when I noticed a large Chinese hypermarket. I couldn't resist going in for a look around the food area. While browsing the frozen, exotic fish area, I made a disturbing discovery.

I came across a section where the fish was endorsed as having been frozen in November 2009, for consumption by November 2011. In other words, this stuff was frozen nearly two years ago...!!?? A look around the area told a similar story in many other instances.

I do not like to eat frozen fish, as I do not believe that fish freezes well. However, I of course understand that fish types from the other side of the world have to be frozen to be transported and sold in an edible state. I was and am under the impression, however, that fish or meat should always be eaten within three months of being frozen.

What is everyone else's understanding of a safe freezing period and have you ever knowingly eaten fish that was killed and frozen nearly two years ago?

I am afraid to say that I looked around no further and left without making a purchase of any type...

1. RTalloni profile image87
      RTalloniposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You did the only smart and sensible thing.   No way would I buy it or eat it.  The rule is 3 months max.

2. 0
    klarawieckposted 5 years ago

That's gross! Yikes! Best thing to do is to go to the marina where people sell their daily catch. It's always fresh.
    I'm sorry but I've had real bad experiences with Chinese restaurants and I only eat Chinese food if I cook it.