jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

No wait dough for pies ?

1. sunforged profile image67
    sunforgedposted 5 years ago

I want to make an apple pie, but done want to wait any length of time for dough to rise .. anyone know a good working dough recipe for pies that requires less than a hour to rise?

Any good hubs or resources on this that you have actually used yourself?

1. Aficionada profile image94
      Aficionadaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

SF - Pie crust doesn't need to rise!! You are confusing pie crust and bread dough.  The trick with pie crust is rolling it out.

I'll run get a recipe.

sunforgedposted 5 years ago in reply to this

yep - screw the lexicon , I need the dough now - whether it wants to rise, rest , chill or breathe - it doesnt get to do it!

The main points for this crust (pastry):

Be sure to use ice water, and use the right amount, which may not be precisely 6 T.;
          Don't handle the mixture very much, if at all;
          Be sure the countertop (or whatever surface you use for rolling out) is well-floured - enough, but not too much; same with the rolling pin; add a little more flour as needed;
          Scraps that are trimmed from one crust can be worked back into the other crust for rolling out.

Any questions?

2. Aficionada profile image94
    Aficionadaposted 5 years ago

For a two-crust pie (bottom crust and top crust):

2 c. sifted flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 c. shortening (like Crisco)
    6 Tablespoons ice water

Cut shortening into flour-salt mixture with two knives or with a pastry blender until crumbs are pea-sized.  Add ice water 1 T. at a time, but only until dough holds together well.  (in other words, you may not need all 6 T. - in some settings, you could possibly need slightly more).  Work the pastry dough into a ball, but don't handle (that would toughen the result).

Divide into two balls. Roll each out on a floured surface with a floured rolling pin; line pie pan with one, fill with pie mixture, then top with the other, crimp the edges and cut slits to allow steam to escape.

--- Or, you could always buy a frozen pie crust (bottom only) at the grocery!

3. Aficionada profile image94
    Aficionadaposted 5 years ago

I once had to roll out a pie pastry without a rolling pin.  It can be done, but that was a real trip!  Not one of my more successful ventures, I must say. sad

sunforgedposted 5 years ago in reply to this

wine bottle? smile

Thank you!

lol - Pretty much! - I forget what was actually in the bottle, but I do remember that it had printing on the outside which we didn't want to get in the crust; so we wrapped it in waxed paper.  That was part of the difficulty!

(Speaking of waxed paper - you can roll out a pastry between two sheets of it; if the pastry is "just right" - not too moist and not too dry - you don't have to use flour on the paper.)

If you do try a bottle, I would recommend finding an empty one and filling it with ice water; then cork it exceptionally well.

You're very welcome.  I hope this works well for you!

working