jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

What are your favorite herbs to use in cooking? Why?

1. MissJamieD profile image80
    MissJamieDposted 5 years ago

Some people may say that food is meant to be eaten in it's rawest form. I believe spices make a dull meal, happy!

I love S & P, sea salt, garlic salt, basil, cumin, oregano and dillweed.

1. Troppus1 profile image59
      Troppus1posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I really love nutmeg - more so when making meals around Thanksgiving because it ads that extra "homey" feel.

Rosemary is a great addition to lamb and mutton type meats as well.

2. Daniella Lopez profile image89
      Daniella Lopezposted 5 years ago in reply to this

For meats I absolutely love Rosemary. The smell is amazing and I think it gives meats a delicious "sweetness". It's excellent for Chicken, Lamb, and Beef.

2. 0
    klarawieckposted 5 years ago

I love thyme, rosemary, parsley and oregano but parsley is poisonous if eaten in excess. It can cause a pregnant woman to abort, so I've heard.

1. DeborahNeyens profile image96
      DeborahNeyensposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I never heard that about parsley.  Interesting.  I did hear that it's supposed to aid digestion, which is how the tradition of garnishing food with a sprig of parsley came to be.

3. 0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 5 years ago

Basil.  Any kind of basil does it for me.  It is so easy to grow and enhances any dish.  I love throwing my fresh basil on my homemade tomato sauce.  There's something about growing your own herbs and vegetables that makes life so sweet.  I would recommend basil to any beginning gardener.

1. DeborahNeyens profile image96
      DeborahNeyensposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Cilantro is another easy one to start in a pot.  I try to have a pot of each in my kitchen window all winter long.

4. DeborahNeyens profile image96
    DeborahNeyensposted 5 years ago

Thyme.  I use it with vegetables, meats, potatoes, soups.  Love the aroma!

working