jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

Cloven Hoofs

1. kerryg profile image87
    kerrygposted 5 years ago

My husband and I caught up on Boardwalk Empire last night and I was confused by the scene with the Sinn Fein supporter at dinner. He wouldn't eat the lamb because it "walks on cloven hoof."

Given that lambs are one of the animals specifically mentioned in Leviticus as being okay to eat, I'm assuming his distaste for cloven hoofed animals doesn't have anything to do with that, but I was wondering if anyone knew of some other dietary restrictions (Irish Catholic or whatever) that forbid eating all cloven hoofed animals - maybe due to the association with the devil? - that I haven't heard of? The only one I can think of is vegetarianism and if the guy was vegetarian, why not just say that instead of making a big deal about cloven hooves and "ironclad principles" and such? Alternately, maybe the Boardwalk Empire writers just don't know their Leviticus. lol

1. Dave Mathews profile image61
      Dave Mathewsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

kerryg: I think the person in question was messing with people's minds.

1. kerryg profile image87
        kerrygposted 5 years ago in reply to this

There was a lot of that this episode. I still haven't the faintest idea what Chalky was going on about with the Tom Sawyer/David Copperfield stuff either.

1. Dave Mathews profile image61
          Dave Mathewsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I do know that in India some religion believes that the cow is sacred and not to be eaten, but I don't think that lambs or goats apply.

2. 0
    Emile Rposted 5 years ago

That is interesting. I always heard that, biblically, you could eat a cloven hooved animal that chews its cud. I always heard that was the reason for not eating pork. But, you are right. They did eat lamb. Go figure.

working