jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

Jonathan McGowan, 44-Year-Old UK Man, Lives Off Roadkill

1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

Jonathan McGowan, 44-Year-Old UK Man, Lives Off Roadkill For 30 Years
    Joe Satran |

Rats, mice, foxes, owls, pigeons, moles, snakes and pheasants: the makings of a pleasant episode of Winnie the Pooh, an autumnal diorama of woodland life at the Academy of Natural Sciences in Philadelphia -- or, for one 44-year-old UK man, 30 years worth of dinner.
    Jonathan McGowan, a professional taxidermist, started eating roadkill at age 14, when he found a dead adder on the side of the road and decided to cook it, reports the Daily Mail. That first snake wasn't very tasty, but he was intrigued. Over time, McGowan came to see the ecological and culinary benefits of eating only meat he found dead on the side of the road. (It seems his forager-instincts were limited to the flesh: he would buy fruits, vegetables, grains, spice and so forth like any other person.)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb … 16108.html

I guess this is logical and sensible if you can prepare it quickly but the thought of eating a smashed animal is revolting to me

1. Alecia Murphy profile image89
      Alecia Murphyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'm with you completely. It's one thing to eat meat that's been raised to be killed, but to just pull it off the road and eat it is all types of gross.

2. MikeNV profile image75
      MikeNVposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I read a story the other day online about a woman who has a disease that makes her crave the foam in sofa cushions.  She has eaten the equivalent of 7 full size sofas.  Nope not dead.

It's amazing what people can eat.  Look at the kinds of bugs and things people eat in third world countries.

To me it's stomach turning, but people on some level are just animals.

2. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 5 years ago

I don't know if they still do, but when I was a kid in college I know they used to take road kill deer and elk to the food bank and distribute it to the poor.  Just let it be known that they had some and it disappeared quick!

3. JEDIJESSICUH profile image84
    JEDIJESSICUHposted 5 years ago

I feel like he'd be a success if he published a book of recipes. A strange success, since I personally would never eat roadkill, but a success nonetheless.

4. 0
    Penny splendidposted 5 years ago

I can see the temptation myself.
    We saw a Swan that had been run over by a car ,when we were out running a few weeks back. My husband said why not get the car and take it home to eat. We knew it had only just died because we hadn't seen it on the road when we ran the other way about 15 minutes earlier.
    The only thing against it was that Swans all belong to the Queen so we didn't know if we would be arrested as poachers !
    I think I would draw the line at Rats ,mice and snakes but I often joke with my son about how many pies worth the pigeons in our garden are and what they would think if they knew what we were saying.

5. manlypoetryman profile image70
    manlypoetrymanposted 5 years ago

Like the sign says...

1. 0
      Penny splendidposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Haha that is excellent, it couldn't happen in the UK I think.

6. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 5 years ago

I'd eat roadkilled deer, cow, or pig - as long as I knew it was fresh. Why let perfectly good meat go to waste?