jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Do You Know the Country of Origin - Candy? Chocolate? Bubble Gum?

1. American_Choices profile image84
    American_Choicesposted 4 years ago

My wife just brought home some bubble gum - yes, in the small print it stated a country other than the USA. I am not bashing other countries, I am trying to make us conscious of the decisions we make in our daily purchases.

Candy that was once American and has a brand name associated with it MIGHT be made elsewhere.

Government regulation is not the answer. Educating the consumer, letting the consumer make the decision is the key.

Retailer and consumers can redirect their wealth to companies who create jobs here in the USA.

What are your thoughts? Do you know the origin of the candy you are handing out tonight? Did you read the fine print?

1. 0
      Wilfionposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Well, I live near to the Birmingham Cadbury factory, which is a very old British chocolate maker.  However, this is now owned by the American company Kraft.  The other well-known British chocolate maker was Terry's, but after 200 years, it was also bought by Kraft.

2. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

Bloody Americans taking over our local industries... should there be a boycott?

1. 0
      Wilfionposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I don't think a boycott would be practical, as Americans now own most British industries, including most of our car manufacturers, and most of the electric and gas suppliers.  So, if we didn't buy American, we wouldn't be left with much of a choice.  Which is why I can't understand why the US is experiencing the same economic meltdown as Britain is, considering they are busy buying everything up.

3. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

Which is roughly what I was suggesting is true for the US. Buying local is great especially for raw food, fiber etc, but for large companies supply and assembly chains are international here.  Even US "made" cars tend to be assembled out of parts made in other countries from metals sourced in yet other countries.  Self-stable good like candies and kibble have a similar mixed background and even those labeled as US-made where only really packaged in that location.

4. Lady_E profile image82
    Lady_Eposted 4 years ago

Most likely Cadbury...