jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (19 posts)

Do recipe hubs get traffic?

1. CyclingFitness profile image92
    CyclingFitnessposted 4 years ago

Whilst most of my writing is on sport and fitness (cycling particularly) I also have a love for food and cooking

Have you found success with recipe hubs?

Anything you'd recommend steering clear of?

1. Gordon Hamilton profile image97
      Gordon Hamiltonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Definitely - great traffic levels in many instances. Almost all of my top performing Hubs are to do with food/cooking, if not necessarily always specific recipes.

Steer clear of? Probably similar to any other kind of Hub in that you want to steer clear of sweeping generalisations which know telephone number levels of competition in the search engines. As an extreme example - purely for illustration - a Hub entitled, "How to Cook Chicken," is probably not going to perform too well on Google.

Other than that? Go for it! Food and cooking is a subject which is evergreen and affects everyone. Come up with the right subject/niche and you are on to a winner.

Good luck and I hope to read what you come up with.

CyclingFitnessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Cheers Gordon. Having looked on the net there are soooooo many bloggers and recipe networks that I thought it best to ask the question and open things up to the community.

Has anyone else had any success? Or tried and decided to concentrate elsewhere?

2. Jyoti Patil profile image76
      Jyoti Patilposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yes i agree with it. But I've noticed recently that most of the Food and Cooking  hubs score aren't going above 60. I guess these are recipes with nothing different. My hub on Food and Cooking got nice score. But I haven't tried writing more on it recently.
      Traffic is more on such hubs because we all love food and most of us love cooking too. So this is the best place to get some quick easy recipes.
      And also the images make difference to any hub.

2. relache profile image86
    relacheposted 4 years ago

Recipe Hubs which are unique can be pretty decent for traffic but don't expect them to be moneymakers because 1) recipes are kind of over-represented on the internet and 2) the info the visitor is really after is the text which is free.  And of course if the recipe is just another subtle variation on something already out there, it's not going to get much in the way of traffic.

1. Sally's Trove profile image100
      Sally's Troveposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Here's another view. My recipe hubs are my best earners. All of them tell a story. And all of them have become earners...over time. One of the first recipe hubs I published here, three years ago, is consistently getting good traffic and earnings, too.

There's always the potential for a recipe hub to do well...just depends on what effort you put into it.

3. Xenonlit profile image60
    Xenonlitposted 4 years ago

I've done alright for just starting to write here. If you add the story behind the recipe, it helps.

4. Cardisa profile image91
    Cardisaposted 4 years ago

Recipe hubs can do well. I find that some do better than others. My vegetarian recipes are my best recipe hubs. But my hub on Jamaican Christmas sorrel drink is the one getting most of the traffic now due to the season, so it's up and down.

5. CyclingFitness profile image92

Having just had a look over google adwords it looks like some recipes are pretty low competition and relatively high search rates

I've just looked under variations of chocolate cookie recipes however

6. samanthamayer profile image78
    samanthamayerposted 4 years ago

As someone who has always googled recipes for anything and everything, I think this is a great way of getting traffic! Although I haven't personally posted any recipes, I can tell you that there are always people looking for quick recipes for all sorts of things. When I hop hubs also, I often follow or thumbs up those that sound like tasty or interesting recipes that I make a mental note to try some time. Everyone loves food! Especially over the Christmas holidays. smile

Indeed, everyone loves food, and everyone needs food. If you don't have a catering business or a restaurant or a food production business, the next best thing to do to earn money on food is to write about it. It will never go out of style.

7. bizwin profile image65
    bizwinposted 4 years ago

I think vegetarian recipes do will do well if you know a unique vegetarian recipe that people are searching for.

8. Polly C profile image87
    Polly Cposted 4 years ago

I don't write recipe hubs but I do look up recipes on the internet - these days it's so much easier than buying a book!

9. Maddie Ruud profile image82
    Maddie Ruudposted 4 years ago

Recipe Hubs do get traffic, though they may take a little time to get traction.  They make me a decent amount of money, as well.

Yeah, like I said.

10. Claudia Tello profile image92
    Claudia Telloposted 4 years ago

My recipe hubs don't get much traffic even though I have some very different recipes that don't have much competition. On the other hand, I have seen hubs from other hubbers with recipes as well spread as apple pie (what could get more competition and be more common?) that have done really well, so in the end, it all depends on your marketing, which is ever the tough part of Hubpages in all topics.

11. CyclingFitness profile image92

Glad to get so many responses. It's always good to get others' opinions when trying something new

12. Senoritaa profile image60
    Senoritaaposted 4 years ago

Yes it does, but a lot depends on your style of writing. For instance, you may have a great recipe but present it poorly, no one is going to read that. So if uniqueness, clarity, and good presentation are present, recipe hubs attract a lot of readers.

CyclingFitnessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Glad to know Senoritaa

Do you think descriptive creative writing is required?

Or bullet point style to the point writing?