jump to last post 1-15 of 15 discussions (20 posts)

Would you stop to buy BBQ from someone on the side of the road?

1. Ole Number One profile image78
    Ole Number Oneposted 4 years ago

Yes or no give details as to why.

1. whoisbid profile image79
      whoisbidposted 4 years ago in reply to this

If it smelled real good, why not?

2. AEvans profile image73
      AEvansposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It really depends on what I see before I pull up. Some of the best BBQ is simply by someone who is selling it on the side of the road. The same applies to Tamales in a parking lot.

3. A Thousand Words profile image80
      A Thousand Wordsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Hells yes I would. I'm from up north and when visiting my father in Philly as a child, we'd always stop at one of those roadside carts. They have THE BEST food! I mean, people are really missing out!

4. Justjed profile image60
      Justjedposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Inasmuch as would love to at times, I feel it is not the best practice. But judging from the set up, you might want to give it a shot

2. freecampingaussie profile image45
    freecampingaussieposted 4 years ago

If I hadn't just eaten & we were due for a stop yes I would ! I nearly alwaysd buy from the stands at the bigger shops on the weekends when I see them .Love bbq food.

3. WriteAngled profile image90
    WriteAngledposted 4 years ago

It would depend where, and what was on offer.

I would be far less likely to stop in a  hot climate. because I would be concerned about the storage conditions for the raw ingredients.

Likewise, I would be wary if what was being offered was burgers or anything else made from ground or reformed meat, because I like to check that what I eat is not too fatty.

4. 0
    jenuboukaposted 4 years ago

Yes, I find some of the most amazing food to be created is by street vendors offering double the goods for half of the price just to prove they are worth the stop.  I have met and heard such incredible stories as well as learned some of the best culinary secrets from these hidden gems. 
    With that being said, I always carry anti acids in the event my stomach disagrees with my culinary adventure, this is a must in other countries.

5. Don Bobbitt profile image94
    Don Bobbittposted 4 years ago

Well, where I come from, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, that's where you find some of the best BBQ.  Right there, on the side of the road, cooked in a big converted "whatever" tank of some kind, with a big fat man standing there, working the meat  and smiling.
    Now, That's Take Home! not that stuff you get at a drive through of a chain restaurant.

6. CWanamaker profile image93
    CWanamakerposted 4 years ago

It depends on what part of town I am in and how hungry I am feeling.

7. Cassie Smith profile image76
    Cassie Smithposted 4 years ago

Yes, assuming: the state gave them a valid vendor license and the food came hot off the grill and everything on it was hot, no salads or other cold plates.

8. Hugh Williamson profile image89
    Hugh Williamsonposted 4 years ago

Would you stop to buy BBQ from someone on the side of the road?

Not if it had tire marks on it.

1. mom101 profile image59
      mom101posted 4 years ago in reply to this

oh, its all in the sauce.

9. erinsoffice profile image60
    erinsofficeposted 4 years ago

If they were selling it out of the back of their pickup... heck no!  But if the smoker was right there, and they took my portion off the grill... Yes!

10. Hendrika profile image73
    Hendrikaposted 4 years ago

In South Africa I will not do it. You are never sure where the meat comes from, the quality and the hygiene involved.

11. ngureco profile image86
    ngurecoposted 4 years ago

No. I do not trust the food handling practices by those hawkers of ready-to-eat food.

And why should the authorities allow vendors to sell ready to eat food by the road side where there is lots of dust and flying insects flying all-over the place?

12. SmartAndFun profile image91
    SmartAndFunposted 4 years ago

Well, I am from Texas so the answer is yes. My experience is very similar to Don Bobbitt's, with the fat man and the huge converted smoker on wheels and all that.

13. ChaplinSpeaks profile image96
    ChaplinSpeaksposted 4 years ago

I love this question!  I live in SC, and BBQ is almost a staple for many here.

No, I would not, because I don't eat meat and would fear food poisoning if I did.  My husband, however, would stop and chow down in an easy minute!

14. amberld profile image86
    amberldposted 4 years ago

I used to live in Austin and did stop at some roadside BBQ setups. Some of the guys by the side of the road really know how to make good BBQ. I guess I would be even more likely to stop if there were a lot of people there already.

15. Lisa HW profile image83
    Lisa HWposted 4 years ago

There aren't anywhere around where I live, but no.  Besides the creepy-meat factor (and even if I ate much meat at all), I'd have an issue with a "fly-by-night" looking set-up, and concerns about food handling, hand-washing, flies, etc.  As it is, I overcome, or ignore, a lot of reservations I have about a lot of food places.

I won't even buy donuts at the local gas-station Dunkin Donuts in warm weather because there are flies that come in the drive-thru window and get all over the uncovered donuts.  (Years ago I e.mailed DD and suggested they cover the donuts.  They sent me a coupon for another dozen "fly donuts".)   lol