Everyone has these tales and memories. What is your most memorable cooking disaster? Carrots not cooked, oven broke, flaming/burnt meat, dog ate the roast.
My worst was my Golden eating the roast. My personal worst was the cheesecake that was a soup - .
Holiday stories somehow are more fun - expecially if you are cooking for a large crowd. Share with us for laughs and for learning.
My most memorable cooking disaster was with a pressure cooker. My daughter tried to take the lid off too soon when we were cooking beans for supper. Luckily no one was hurt but we all got quite a scare. The kitchen was a mess with beans everywhere.
One story my sons (20 and 22 now) love razzing me or regaling their friends or mine will be when I was warming up their hard boiled eggs in the microwave and they blew up - they were 6 & 7 back then
...well....there's a quite a few disasters....my mother didn't teach me how to cook...it doesn't seem to come naturally to me...i don't know how to do dishes or clean the house either......oh well.......
oh yeah...back to cooking - my fav memory is making a 2 inch thick omelette...it wasn't very good
Nothing too dramatic or catastrophic for me... My worst disasters occurred when I was "experimenting" and ended up with something that didn't come out with the taste, texture, or composition I thought I would get. Some of my experiments were downright awful! Fortunately, nobody else ever got to try what I cooked as an experiment - I am my own guinea pig. But those events helped me learn a lot more about what ingredients work well together, and which ones don't, and why. I suppose that's what people go to cooking school to learn about.
I made a special cake and put it to bake in one of those cake tins that have a loose bottom to help you remove the cake when it is cooked. Something made me forget the type of tin the cake was in and how long it had been cooking for. Later I lifted the cake out of the oven to look at it and the whole cake mixture slid through the base of the tin and onto the floor and door of the oven. As the cake contained orange juice, ground almonds and eggs it was a couple of hours work to clear it up.
Working in the culinary profession I could literally write a book about all the disasters that occur in the kitchen.
So the last disaster was baking cheesecake for a restaurant I worked at and due to the crappy ovens, the cakes took almost 2 hours, which required me to constantly hawk eye the cakes.
It as a busy Friday night and this cake was the popular dessert choice, as we were in the middle of service I was taking the cakes out, and due to the mismatched bake ware I had double lined the pan with plastic wrap then foil. It was always an event when I took the cakes out, all eyes watching my shaking hands careful not to emerge the cakes in the water bath.
This particular cake had to be the most perfect one created to boot and as I was taking the foil and plastic wrap off the ill constructed ring unlatched and as I was pulling off the wrap the cake became dislodged and fell right into the garbage.
All that witnessed, held their head in moment of silence, the only weird and good thing was that it slipped right into the garbage, no fuss cleaning up a hot cheesecake, I have not lived it down to this day.
Copyright © 2016 HubPages Inc. and respective owners.
Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners.
HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc.
HubPages and Hubbers (authors) may earn revenue on this page based on affiliate relationships and advertisements with partners including Amazon, Google, and others.