jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (13 posts)

Favorite Holiday Food

1. Steven Davis II profile image59
    Steven Davis IIposted 5 years ago

Everyone seems to have one thing they simply cannot survive the holiday season without having. Maybe it's your mom's cookies, or grandma's pie, or some dish I haven't heard of yet. What's your favorite thing to have this time of year?

2. Cagsil profile image60
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

I don't have a specific holiday food, but I get more opportunity to eat Chocolate Creme pie during the later part of every year. lol

1. mom101 profile image59
      mom101posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Homemade cornbread dressing. Not re-baked.

3. profile image0
    oldandwiseposted 5 years ago

It would have to be the meat stuffing, followed by the homemade apple pies.

1. Steven Davis II profile image59
      Steven Davis IIposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I've never had meat stuffing. Is it similar to cornbread stuffing? (Also, what's better than apple pie? Not very many things.)

1. mom101 profile image59

Steven,

Welcome to hubpages.  I can see you are hard at work already. Hope your mission here is a blessed one.

Don't get discouraged, as with anywhere else, there are some here that will challenge you.

Meat stuffing is like homemade cornbread dressing with meat and maybe some gravy mixed in. It is the ultimate in fine dining.

Second in line would have to be chicken and dumplins and fried cabbage or maybe stewed pork backbones, with new potatoes n cabbage cooked together.

Hey, what time is supper? I am hungry.

Again, welcome to hubpages, hope you have a blast.

2. mom101 profile image59

oldandwise

ah yes, little chunks of meat mixed in with the dressing and the giblet gravy spooned on top.

Im a gettin hungry.

Welcome to the hub. Hope you enjoy your time here and look forward to versing with you.

I noticed you are from Ga. I could tell that you were from the south when you mentioned meat stuffing. I am big on southern foods.

One of my favorite southern dish is pinto beans cornbread (crust only for me) ground beef with a little mayo mixed in.

Again, welcome to hubpages.

3. mom101 profile image59

oldandwise,

Home made apple pies? Do you mean the ones with dried apples that are seasoned and cooked then a crust made and fried in a skillet?

You got me to thinkin of them there golden years at grannys house.

At Christmas time she would make a stack cake. It was 9 layers high and sooooo delicious. but with most of the things she made, she made from scratch. Just like the apples, we peeled apples til I thought I'd turn into an apple and then we would slice them and lay them in the sun on a covered table to dry them and then when dried, we would package them and put them away. Out of these apples we made apple butter,  the filling for the fried apple pies and the filling for the stack cake.

Those days are so dear.

4. rbe0 profile image59
    rbe0posted 5 years ago

By far my favorite holiday food, or food for any day of the year is the glorious union of fish and cake into the form of fishcake.

5. Steven Davis II profile image59
    Steven Davis IIposted 5 years ago

One of my  Sunday school kids' mom made me some maple fudge. It was one of the most amazing sweet things I've ever eaten. I think I felt a little more Christmas spirit with each bite big_smile

6. mljdgulley354 profile image60
    mljdgulley354posted 5 years ago

Holidays put me in the baking mood. I look forward to the different baked goodies we share at holidays. My favorite is all the chocolate goodies, especially the fudge

7. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 5 years ago

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/5912631_f248.jpg

that is pancit canton - noodles with ingredients, I will add lots of shrimp, pork and beef to it. I usually cook that every week but I make a special one every Christmas and New Years days

8. rob_allen profile image86
    rob_allenposted 5 years ago

Normally, we just have roasted chicken for Christmas.

working