jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (10 posts)

1. steveamy profile image60
    steveamyposted 4 years ago

What red wine would be the best to serve with grilled Salmon or Tuna?

2. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

Something fairly mild like a Merlot.

3. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 4 years ago

White meat white wine, red meat red wine, or so we are told. Pink fish is a grey area. I would agree with psycheskinner and serve something like a Merlot, or a really good South African rose.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image82
      Uninvited Writerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I never drink white wine, red goes with anything smile

4. 0
    Muldaniaposted 4 years ago

I don't like red or white wine, but prefer sherry or port, which go with everything.

5. WriteAngled profile image91
    WriteAngledposted 4 years ago

I had the "fish must be accompanied by white wine" prejudice beaten out of me when I lived in ex-Yugoslavia for five years. Red wine was served with fish as often as white wine, and I did not have any problems with it!

Tuna has a very strong flavour, so I personally would choose to set it against a richly-flavoured red wine. I was recently introduced to Malbec, and that would certainly fit the bill.

A Rioja from a good year would also hold up well.

Salmon perhaps needs something less intense. I might think of Montepulciano d'Abruzzo, which is a favourite of mine. Otherwise, if I want a good red wine at a competitive price, I tend to home in onto an individually numbered bottle of Bulgarian Cabernet Sauvignon.

1. steveamy profile image60
      steveamyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

rioja  ....ding, ding, ding--we have a winner....or at least a possible one

6. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 4 years ago

Montepulciano d'Abruzzo. I'm going to give that a try.

7. Teddy Graham profile image60
    Teddy Grahamposted 3 years ago

I agree with a middle of the road but great tasting Rose. A true rose is actually made from red grapes however the skins of the grapes are not left in the vat as long. The true rose should be a dry wine, meaning simply that it is not a sweet wine. Normally what gives a dry red wine its robust flavors and red tint is the skins of the grapes and the tannins in the skin. A rose is very mild and should be served at the same temperature as a white wine.

8. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 3 years ago

If you prefer a red wine, a nice Pinot Noir would be excellent with grilled salmon. Salmon isn't considered white or red, so a lighter red wine works well.    It would also work with grilled tuna, or a Chardonnay if you prefer white wine.  I had salmon tonight for dinner with my favorite Cabernet, it was fine.  It's all I had in the house! smile