jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (30 posts)

What makes chicken so tasty?

1. paradigmsearch profile image89
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

Chicken, good. More chicken, better.

2. Gordon Hamilton profile image96
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 4 years ago

There will be any number of theories on this question. My own is maybe a little bit different in that chicken only appears to be so tasty in large part because it is in fact essentially so bland in its basic form. It is, however, incredibly versatile in the number of ways in which we can cook it and readily takes on the taste of any seasoning we care to add to it, from simple salt and pepper, to complicated sauces, without necessarily affecting its texture.

Hopefully, if you think about it for a minute, you will at least understand what I mean, if not necessarily agree with me. smile

3. 0
    The Writers Dogposted 4 years ago

Maybe the hormones they feed the birds so that a six week old chicken will feed four adults does something to enhance the taste?

4. Randy Godwin profile image93
    Randy Godwinposted 4 years ago

I doubt most of you have ever eaten a "yard bird" before.  There's a world of difference in the taste of one of these chickens, which takes months to reach their natural maturity, and one which is processed in 6 weeks.  And yes, they are full of all sorts of growth hormones.  Most cannot even support their own weight.

1. Gordon Hamilton profile image96
      Gordon Hamiltonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Good point, Randy - I slap myself hard on the wrist for not refering to this point that is always very important to me, be it fish, beef, chicken, or whatever! wink I can honestly say that I have on many occasions picked out my own chicken of this type and personally "Processed" it. To say that there is a world of difference does not even begin to cover it.

I still do, however, stand by my theory re chicken's adaptability and its capacity for taking on extra flavours without adversely affecting its natural appeal. Hope you agree.

1. Randy Godwin profile image93
        Randy Godwinposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yes, chicken can taste different according to the different seasonings and cooking methods used.  A versatile bird indeed, Gordon!  smile

1. mom101 profile image61
          mom101posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Ah yeah. Agree indeed.

I have to tell this story. Forgive me now.

As a mid teen, my cousin and I wanted to skip church and her dad, a deacon of the church, agreed under one condition. We had to fix dinner (thats what we southern folk call lunch). He told what all he wanted prepared and told us he had laid a chicken on the back porch for us to clean and cook.

They left the house around 9am and would be back around 12:30 ish. At 12 the chicken had not even started being de-feathered.  We decided to cook something else.

They came in and no chicken cooked, we got humiliated bad with a lot of giggles. Nobody told us all we had to do was pour hot water over the bird.

5. Handicapped Chef profile image31
    Handicapped Chefposted 4 years ago

If your frying it buttermilk marinade and some great seasonings.

6. 70
    logic,commonsenseposted 4 years ago

If it wasn't for the salmonella, chicken wouldn't have any flavor at all! smile

7. olodarkwriter profile image60
    olodarkwriterposted 4 years ago

Once an African-American teenager said, "Fried chicken is in the black man's genes." I said, "Oh, but it is in the white man's genes too." Racism would end if we just got together for fried chicken once in a while.

1. 0
      Brenda Durhamposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I'm in.  When's the party?   Yum, fried chicken!

8. eatlikenoone profile image85
    eatlikenooneposted 4 years ago

Chicken use to taste better before we bred them to grow quicker and produce more breast meat. I heard if you can get your hands an older bred of chicken, they are more flavorful.