jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (26 posts)

Are the French Crazy for Banning Ketchup at School Cafeterias?

1. Cassie Smith profile image77
    Cassie Smithposted 5 years ago

They blame this American condiment for making their kids fat, but they don't ban the butter on their bread.

1. AshtonFirefly profile image82
      AshtonFireflyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

From what source did you get this?

2. profile image61
      Jesus was a hippoposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Heinz tomato ketchup in the UK is 50% sugar so I think it should be banned in schools. They should at least replace it with a sugar free version though. Did they replace it with anything?

The french are crazy but not for that reason.

Cassie Smithposted 5 years ago in reply to this

No, the French just don't allow ketchup at the kids' school cafeterias. The meals looked healthy enough though, I don't see how a little dollop of ketchup would suddenly make them blow up.

1. profile image61

I never did like ketchup on my snails anyway.

ketchup on snails
            *gag*

1. profile image61

Snails should be eaten with a little garlic butter and a toothpick smile

excuse me while I go vomit... hmm

1. profile image61

lol they taste like a mix between mussels and octopus. Taste like mussels and texture like octopus and I loooooove octpopus.

:I

2. Cassie Smith profile image77
    Cassie Smithposted 5 years ago

Yahoo shows a video snippet from ABC news about the French banning ketchup in the kids school cafeterias because they think it makes kids fat.  I think it's funny.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/world-15749 … 64300.html

3. Gordon Hamilton profile image95
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 5 years ago

I haven't watched the video but if this is true, I would agree with you: it is ridiculous - but not for the reason you state.

Tomato ketchup does contain some positives from the processed tomatoes, as does butter from its natural saturated fats, within moderation.

It is those vile and disgusting burger joints they should ban (as should every country!) if they are concerned about health. The only health benefits they contain are to the families of funeral directors in the form of increased income...

Cassie Smithposted 5 years ago in reply to this

That's just it.  McDonald's restaurants in France are popular and making a ton of money for the corporation and they have ketchup, but so far they haven't banned McDonald's. smile

4. SweetiePie profile image83
    SweetiePieposted 4 years ago

Maybe bans are not the way to go, but at least they are not claiming ketchup is a vegetable like in Ronald Reagan's day.  I do not know I have heard really good things about the food French serve their kids in school, and if you do not live there, how does this effect you?

1. profile image69
      logic,commonsenseposted 4 years ago in reply to this

How can they eat french fries without any ketchup? smile

1. SweetiePie profile image83
        SweetiePieposted 4 years ago in reply to this

French fries were invented in the US, and simply given that name because the man who requested the dish wanted the fries to be sliced super thin like potatoes served in France.  The funny thing is even though they are banning ketchup in French schools, at least the kind of Europe does not have high fructose corn syrup in it.  French kids are taught to eat several course meals for school lunch, and what they eat sounds delicious, unlike the goop they serve many American kids for school lunch.  To the credit of California schools they are actually putting more fruits and veggies in school lunches now because when I was a kid they thought a hot dog and ketchup with milk was a complete lunch lol.

1. jennzie profile image85
          jennzieposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I remember the unhealthy foods cafeterias offered when I was in school as well. When I was in middle school in particular, there were these cheese pierogies that were drenched in grease that were served on certain days of the week, but I loved them! For quite a while after middle school, I would look for those same pierogies in grocery stores, which were filled only with cheese, but I could only find ones filled with both cheese and potato. I was pretty disappointed.

But since then the school lunches have probably gotten a bit healthier, as there does seem to be more focus today on healthier eating in schools.

2. Mama Kim 8 profile image91
        Mama Kim 8posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Surprisingly I've met a few french people/kids and almost all of them don't use ketchup anyways. They preferred their "french fries" with mayonnaise.

5. innersmiff profile image79
    innersmiffposted 4 years ago

Are the French crazy? Yes, yes they are. This seems to me an extension of their intrusive nanny state, but this particular thing is trivial in comparison.

6. CMHypno profile image88
    CMHypnoposted 4 years ago

The French take their food very seriously, so I'm actually surprised that ketchup was ever allowed in French school dining rooms in the first place.  But surely it is a matter for the French alone to decide what goes on in their schools and what their kids eat?

Also many countries, like France, want to protect and encourage their own culture  when it comes to eating and food and don't want to become Americanised. Not everybody sees an ever growing chain of MacDonald's spreading across the world as a good thing

working