Chicken of the Sea tuna

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (54 posts)
  1. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

Chicken of the Sea used to be the best.

But lately I've been finding icky stuff in it.

I suggest you get it fixed before I write a viral hub about it.

I'm just saying... big_smile

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'd write the hub about it!  The internet is where to protest, and where to ensure standards are kept high.  It's why they wish to shut the net down, it's powerful.

1. rlaha profile image60
        rlahaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'd write a hub about it too! smile

1. roshall profile image77
          roshallposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree writ about it. There may be others who have found something and are not speaking up.What if this is something harmful!!

2. kenneth avery profile image79
      kenneth averyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I DO NOT patronize Chicken of The Sea for some reports I saw years ago how and what they use in their products. Thanks for the heads up.
      Kenneth

3. roshall profile image77

Hi I have found icky stuff in other canned foods. I guess they need to improve thier tech.

4. uncorrectedvision profile image60
      uncorrectedvisionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps because there are limitations imposed on fish harvests so that the quality of the fish itself has declined.

5. uncorrectedvision profile image60

It may be a consequence of increased costs.  Some varieties of tuna are smaller and the large desirable chunks get separated in processing as their value increases.  Yellow fin, blue fin, skip jack are all different in size, quality and availability.

paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Congrats on your 100 followers. I gave you one more in case someone gets banned. big_smile

1. uncorrectedvision profile image60

Thanks for that.

2. Pcunix profile image89
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

Maybe it's because the oceans they swim in are filled with icky stuff we dump in it?

Walking cliche.  Do you understand what the volume of the dynamic, flowing, living, violent ocean is?

1. Pcunix profile image89
        Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Walking cliche?

Do YOU understand the reality of pollution in our oceans?

No, never mind: plainly you do not and given my other interactions with you, that's no surprise at all.  Absolutely incredible!

Have a tissue.

Nobody else is outraged by this?  I'm the only one?  Really?

1. Gordon Hamilton profile image91
              Gordon Hamiltonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Pcunix, you may be assured that two of us here are outraged (and a lot more than us!). This is a subject very close to my heart and a big part of my life. I am trying to exercise restraint in commenting here because what I have found over a period of many years (through an insignificant little thing called hands on experience) is that the majority of people don't care. They buy vile substances such as canned tuna (I make no apologies for calling it that, as that is what it is) eat it and actually seem to enjoy it. I don't make any pretence to understand...

It's not specifically the tuna that is incensing me.  It's the attitude that ocean pollution and over fishing are unimportant or are left wing lies or some other utterly idiotic misconception.

It's beyond unbelievable.  It's absolutely disgusting - not that that particular hubber - well, yes, it is disgusting but I know him well and it is expected and not unusual.  What I do NOT expect is that people of intelligence will just ignore him and effectively validate his statements by their silence.  THAT is what has raised my temperature.

2. uncorrectedvision profile image60

It is such a short trip for you.

3. Gordon Hamilton profile image91
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 12 years ago

Had to Google, "Chicken of the Sea."

Canned tuna? You are joking? You eat that muck?

Desperately endangered fish, caught by wholly non-sustainable methods and grossly overcooked by a canning process to make it taste and appear like sawdust in brine?

Please mail me the direct link to your forthcoming Hub. I will do all in my power to help you promote it smile

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The poor old Atlantic bluefin tuna has decreased in numbers by 93% over the last 30 years but you'll be pleased to know that most of them didn't end up in those little tuna tins you buy in the supermarkets.

90% of caught tuna actually go to the Japanese restaurant market to end up as sushi or sashimi.

Hey did you know that a full grown tuna, well there is probably only one full grown tuna left in the world - the rest have been killed off - can reach a speed of 60mph and can accelerate faster than a speeding Porsche?

What an amazing creature!

And you put it on a sandwich with mayo. Tsk! Tsk! [edit: not you Gordon!]

paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

As we speak. big_smile

2. wavegirl22 profile image48
        wavegirl22posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Mayo and Chopped Celery and dont forget some Chopped Onion and Garlic Powder! Yum

I also like it with just some Balsamic Vinegar wink Yumalicious!

3. Gordon Hamilton profile image91

Thanks, Izzy! Good points smile

4. Barbara Kay profile image74
        Barbara Kayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Izzy, You've got to write a hub about Tunas.

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81

It's not nearly so bad as you made it sound!!!  Goes great with Ramen noodles, it's cheap food, sure, but it's surely healthier than KFC or Taco Bell!!

I'm not being cheeky, here, I promise. I am genuinely interested and wish to know something for an interesting (possible!) idea. Those of you who speak here in favour of one of my pet hates (canned tuna) - have you ever tasted properly cooked fresh tuna? By properly cooked, I mean, sustainable, line caught tuna steaks, seared only on a hot griddle.

1. mega1 profile image80
          mega1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

YES!  you're so right!  Once you've eaten line caught tuna (fresh from a friend's boat) you will be ruined for canned tuna - just today, I opened a can of tuna and couldn't stand the smell of it - couldn't eat the tuna salad I made from it - all because I've tasted the real thing.  It's the same with salmon - after you've had any ocean fish fresh you will find it really difficult to stand to go back to the supermarket's version of fish - canned or not.  But really, since most commercial fishing is even worse than the commercially farmed stuff - its a wonder we can stand to eat most of what we find in a supermarket!  I'm beginning to turn to vegetables, mainlyfrom local sources - and soon I will have to have my own veggie garden, I think, in order to be able to eat at all.  You pay a price for food enlightenment, don't you?

Well said, mega1, and I am delighted you feel that way. It is indeed the same with most types of fish and food. Fresh vegetables are of course a huge part of any balanced diet and although I am not a natural lover of vegetables, I have learned to incorporate them in my eating regime. Depending upon where we live on the planet, fresh produce can result in us paying more, you're right. Personally, I believe the payment to be worthwhile smile

1. mega1 profile image80

and I sounded very, very selfish - like all that matters is my taste buds!  I also see dolphins dying in the nets every time I open a can of Chicken of the Sea - I don't buy it myself, I have to cook for others who do. buy it.  And I dream of the day when I can truly buy and eat the way I would prefer.  THee are far too many ways our species is wasting the planet - far too many.  I guesss the least I can do is buy thoughtfully when I can and truly appreciate the great foods that are there - if we're willing to search them out.

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81

Not fresh, not here in Texas - but I liked the tuna steaks that I've had.

4. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

Shame on all of you! Aye, when there are none left, you'll be greetin'!

1. wavegirl22 profile image48
      wavegirl22posted 12 years agoin reply to this

grettin?

must be some scottish saying..

s'plain plse cool

Greeting is indeed a Scottish saying for crying, Wavegirl. Izzy is absolutely correct, however, in her sentiments. Too many people on this planet (in every country, not just the UK, US, Spain, Japan, or whatever) don't realise how desperate the situation is. I don't know whether I should consider myself lucky or unlucky to have seen it first hand, the decimation of the fish stocks - the fact is that I have and it breaks my heart...

1. Barbara Kay profile image74
          Barbara Kayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Gordon. Another good hub to write.

Barbara, thank you for your intimated support and suggestion. I really hate to say it but I am fast losing my ability to motivate people to save our seas. I've spent a lot of time and money over these past few years with virtually zero support. All I can console myself with is the fact that I have tried... sad

2. mega1 profile image80

aye, and when there's none of the wildlands left, even if we've never seen them, we will know they're gone!  humans are a sorry lot - would that we'd get a bit sorrier for real now, instead of waitin' til its too too late!

5. keithlipke profile image60
    keithlipkeposted 12 years ago

Just thinking about that for dinner wink

6. Debby Bruck profile image65
    Debby Bruckposted 12 years ago

I believe they caught 'Charlie' a number of years ago, a relative of Starkist. All the offspring have been contaminated by humans mucking around with his ocean environment. The Gulf of Mexico oil spill did not help and the Nuclear Meltdown in Japan added some radiation floating around in the waters. It could be your tuna will light up. The medical community has recommended pregnant women not to eat tuna fish, and general public only a couple times per week. Now, you can use your own logic and understanding to decide whether or not to eat this type of fish.

Blessings, Debby

7. mary615 profile image83
    mary615posted 12 years ago

Funny you all are discussing tuna.  I opened a can of Chicken of the Sea Tuna today, and it made me sick to smell it.  Something has changed.  Either my smeller or the product.  I gave it to my cat.  It was so watery and mushey!  I just thought maybe I had been eating too much and was tired of it.

1. kenneth avery profile image79

Hi, mary...like I said..no more Chicken of The Sea...I go for Double Q Pink Salmon, hot biscuits, sweet tea and Im in paradise. Hey, Mary....its been a long time, and Im glad to see you. Just want to wish YOU a Happy New Year and I will be back strong in warmer weather...love, Kenneth

1. roshall profile image77

Think I will run out to get a can to see how it is. Will let you all know the results tomorrow.

2. mary615 profile image83
        mary615posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi, Kenneth, so nice to see you, too!  I am freezing here in S. Fl.  Got down in the 30's, and I can't stand it.  I'm headed for Puerto Rico on the 18th till it gets warmer here.  I had a hard time deciding on Costa Rica or PR at first, but now my mind is made up!  When you have some time read my Hub about my problem deciding on where to go.  Hope you are feeling better these days.  Love you, too.

1. kenneth avery profile image79

sure thing, Mary. I will do that in a few minutes. You take care. Be careful and thank you for your warm wishes. Love you, Kenneth

2. mega1 profile image80

Tunas must be very intelligent!  They've made themselves unpalatable specifically for the commercial canners - but still are tasty for the line fishermen!  I wonder how they do it!  big_smile

8. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 12 years ago

Bumble Bee?  That's sold with Chicken of the Sea.  But I do like sushi using tuna.

9. profile image0

And sashimi.

10. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years ago

read some of the posts....ack!...i can't eat that canned stuff...once you've had fresh it's really hard to eat canned anything - except the foods I take the time to can....and besides i used to feed my cat that mass produced stuff...he was dying and couldn't eat - i had to do something quick!...ack! he hated it too!...and then he died.....i miss my cat! big_smile

11. LoriSoard profile image64
    LoriSoardposted 12 years ago

Gross. My husband insists on buying Ball Park hot dogs. I found a bone fragment in the last one I tried to eat. I like the Hebrew National and I refuse to eat Ball Park ever again after that incident. In fact, the idea of it grosses me out. Actually, hot dogs in general kind of gross me out. What are they anyway? Ick.

12. mary615 profile image83
    mary615posted 12 years ago

I worked in the Food Technology Dept. at the U. of Ga. back in the 50's.  We used to buy packages of hot dogs from the local grocery store, and run tests to see what kind of bacteria would grow on them, and the quantity of bacteria.  I will never eat another hot dog!  We also tested other foods, but the hot dog was the worse!

13. profile image0

Coming from California, what they put in chorizo is something you don't wanna hear . . .  But it's cheap.  98 cents for a tube of pork or beef "meat."  When I lived near the California-Oregon border, everyone canned their own tuna.  Delicious!  At least you know what was in that.

14. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years ago

Agreed mystery chicken now

My I phone said that not me lol

15. roshall profile image77
    roshallposted 12 years ago

Honestly I can't believe some are talking about us who eat tuna.We do, others have and more may. Its a fact and its no big surprise. Seriously people!!! Let me know about post also so I can follow. The tuna I got last night was just fine thankfully and I loved every bit of him.LOL:)http://roshall.hubpages.com/hub/Shawns-Salmon-Patties

16. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

My internet went down after the last post I made on this topic 40 hours ago and I'm only back online now (the mast got blown down or something in a storm - the mobile phones all went down too).

I am really saddened what is happening with pollution at sea, overfishing, shark finning etc.

I have written extensively on the topics but they don't get readership because people just don't want to know.

Inside the next 20 years peeps, you'll know a very different ocean to what we have now.

When the apex predators disappear, you won't be able to go paddling on the shore because some other sea creature will increase massively, and it won't be a nice one.

17. Teylina profile image60
    Teylinaposted 12 years ago

Interesting this came up because only two or three days ago I decided on "no more C of the Sea" and it's always been (in my opinion) the best. Not sure it really matters any more. Have actually tried a couple of offbeat ones that were as good. Seems more water in C/S lately and getting bones (if it were beef I'd think it was gristle). Meat darker/less "packed." I don't automatically reach for it now.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)