jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Old World Wines vs. New World Wines

1. steveamy profile image61
    steveamyposted 4 years ago

Do you prefer wine from the Old World (Europe) or the New World (California, Australia, South America etc.)? Why?

2. Deborah Brooks profile image40
    Deborah Brooksposted 4 years ago

Some of my favorite wines come from Germany right on the Rhine.. they are wonderful.. I love wines from all over I am not picky.. but my favorite has to be Germany.. I spent time on the Rhine River..

3. WriteAngled profile image91
    WriteAngledposted 4 years ago

I like some of both. For example:

In the 1980s, I used to go to a monthly pena organised by Chilean exiles in the UK. They would lay on Chilean food and wine. I had some excellent wine there.

Recently, a wine merchant introduced me to Malbec. I've had two different labels so far, both extremely good.

However, there is currently a wicked Rioja on offer at my local supermarket. It has fantastic complex notes in it.

I find that individually numbered bottles of Bulgarian Cabernet Sauvignon can provide a fantastic wine at a relatively low price.

I can't really provide a reason. I just go by what I like. Most of the time I go for fairly heavy reds with lots of depth and different flavours in them. I do like good white wine too, however when buying on spec, I've been disappointed more often with white than with red wine. Hence, I tend to buy red most of the time. It means I can also say I'm consuming it for health reasons lol

4. bloggernotjogger profile image60
    bloggernotjoggerposted 4 years ago

Hi Steveamy,

I see from your profile that you are in the wine business. I would assume then that you know quite a bit about wine. Most people, however, are not as knowledgeable. Their choice of wine is often due to price, availability, and sometimes a personal connection. For example, an Italian person may chose an Italian wine over an Australian wine.

I´m no expert, but to make a distinction between Old and New World wines, I would think one has to drink a lot of wine from many countries at different price levels.

1. steveamy profile image61
      steveamyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Ex- wine business...I do realize that knowledge is occasionally missing from the consumer side but was just curious what sorts of wine folks drank as styles of these wine can be so different...

5. Greek One profile image79
    Greek Oneposted 4 years ago

i prefer sweet Canadian ice wine... as per my hub smile

6. Gordon Hamilton profile image97
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 4 years ago

I can't answer in full here as I am only really a fan of red wine, so can't speak for white.

No ifs, buts or maybes - I prefer New World every time, particularly Australian red wine.

I honestly believe that Old World wines (particularly French) are popular in many instances (not all!) purely on reputation, on the basis of snob value, even when they taste like - something less than palatable...

I also like South African, Chilean and a few Californian red wines.

European wines? I suppose they're OK as vinegar on your chips... lol

7. cyoung35 profile image85
    cyoung35posted 4 years ago

Many of the wineries in Europe are going organic and that is the best way to make it. It doesn't harm the vines and no added sulfites...yes there is a shorter shelf life but the flavor is worth it. So to answer the question it is the old world wines but only the organic ones.