jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Vegan Recipes and Hubs?

1. Aficionada profile image94
    Aficionadaposted 4 years ago

My son and daughter-in-law are coming for a visit very soon (from out-of-state).  She is vegetarian, but she occasionally restricts her diet to veganism.  I want to be prepared for both possibilities, but my imagination has gone blank for any vegan dishes. We have had them with us for Thanksgiving before, so I do have a little repertoire of vegetarian dishes (and some that can be revised for a vegan), but I would like to look at some new possibilities.

Can anyone here recommend some great vegan menus, especially breakfast dishes?  If you know of an appropriate Hub, please list it by title (or link, if permitted).

2. WriteAngled profile image92
    WriteAngledposted 4 years ago

My elder daughter is vegan.

For breakfast, she generally just wants muesli with soya milk, sometimes with  banana added, and toast with jam or marmalade (ummm, jelly and ????? in the US!). Some preprepared brand-name muesli has powdered milk added BTW, so it's necessary to check.

For main meals, when she is with me, we both love stir fried vegetables with cashews, served with rice or noodles according to our inclination that day.

Tempeh, marinaded tofu and smoked tofu are also great for stir fries and also in stews in place of meat.

Sliced smoked tofu is lovely to eat cold on its own or in sandwiches. Here in the UK there is an especially nice one with almond slivers in it.

She gets through pots of hummus on bread. Sliced avocado with salad is another good sandwich filler.

Tomato-based sauces for pasta work well. I sometimes cook in some small red lentils, which results in a good substitute for bolognaise.

Pizza without cheese works really well if you use lots of the tomato base and plenty of interesting toppings. I like to include a few olives, capers, pickled artichoke and/or jalapeno peppers for some extra zing.

Aficionadaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Great ideas!  I'll get some soya milk to have on hand and check the cereals we have.  My son used to love a lentil soup that I made, so I'll definitely put lentils on the list.

Here we actually do have jelly, jam, and marmalade - all three smile.  According to the US terminology as I understand it, jelly is supposed to be (pretty much) completely clear, made from strained fruit juice; marmalade is like jelly, but with little bits or chunks of the fruit in it, such as orange zest; jam is made from a sort of puree of the fruit pulp (and possibly some of the peel), not just the clear juice.

I love the thought of tofu with almond slivers in it.  Sounds delicious!  And I like the sound of cheese-less pizza - but we've had so much pizza in the past week, I'm not sure I could face another meal of it.  I'll put that on the reserve list.

3. Beth100 profile image84
    Beth100posted 4 years ago

I have a quite a few vegan friendly recipes.  Unfortunately, we cannot post links to our own hubs here, but you can find them clicking on my profile.

I have an assortment of recipes using lentils, beans, vegetables and combinations of these.  I also have a 3 part series on what to use and how to buy for vegan cooking.

If you are looking for a specific dish, please email me and I will do my best to send you a recipe for the dish. 

One favorite is Sloppy Joes - substitute the meat with TVP - I have a delicious recipe for this!  Guaranteed to make them want seconds and thirds!  smile

I'll definitely check out your hubs.  I am pretty sure that when I joined HP, it was permitted to post a link to our own hubs if done to answer a specific question; but along with other changes here that may have become more restricted.  That was my reason for mentioning titles as a possibility.  I think I can scroll through 93 hubs okay - but if someone with hundreds suggested that, I would probably faint lol.

I actually don't have any specific recipe ideas - and that's my problem.  I'm not a very enthusiastic cook most of the time, so I'm in need of some real inspiration.  I look forward to seeing your hubs.

4. WriteAngled profile image92
    WriteAngledposted 4 years ago

Big warning!

If you add soya milk to coffee, there is a very big risk of it curdling.

I've been told the secret is to make sure the coffee is not too strong, add it to the soya milk and use a larger quantity of soya milk, which means it may need to be warmed.

My daughter doesn't drink coffee so I have no experience with this.

I'm glad you mentioned this!  I'm not really sure that my DIL drinks coffee, but I would hate for this to happen. 

I'm getting some great ideas, starting to feel much more confident about our meals.

5. Beth100 profile image84
    Beth100posted 4 years ago

No need to scroll all 93 hubs!!  Just check out the hubs on cooking and recipes.  That narrows it down to about half!  ha ha ha

As for coffee, instead of serving coffee, there is another drink that you can serve which is vegan friendly which is based on chicory.  There's Caf-Lib and one other brand that escapes my mind at the moment.

Both taste like coffee, and can be served with rice/almond/soya milk without the worries of it curdling.  It's quite good served on its own.