jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (13 posts)

Spam....Unappreciated?

1. McQueen3486 profile image60
    McQueen3486posted 5 years ago

Most people think of spam as disgusting, barely edible, and all around tacky.  Has anyone not tried spam in their Pasta Salad? It's pretty good. It adds a little bit of tang to the salad. Can anyone think of maybe some other uses for spam...that might be somewhat edible?

1. WriteAngled profile image92
      WriteAngledposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Well, many decades ago, when I was at primary school and ate school dinners prepared by the school kitchen (that shows how long ago it was!), I loved spam fritters in batter served with baked beans.

I still dream of them now at times LOL!

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image94
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 5 years ago in reply to this

heheheheh.

Hey, I'd eat it too.  I'd put it into Ramen Noodles (minus that msg neurotoxin flavour pack) shake on some Louisiana Hot Sauce, and have myself a meal.

Maybe I'd have some Saltines or another cracker with it.

I'd rather eat less process meats, but I'd also rather not be hungry.

2. McQueen3486 profile image60

This is true! Especially if you're younger...and on a budget! Ramen noodles, macaroni and cheese, spam....it becomes your staple, I guess.

I've also heard, in a pinch, that it is good to mix with beef to make meatloaf.

3. paradigmsearch profile image89
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

Sandwich spreads, including Spam, are a good thing. big_smile

4. Ahnoosh profile image86
    Ahnooshposted 5 years ago

We went on a camping trip once with some friends and we were all in charge of preparing a meal.  One of the single guys prepared spam sandwiches with these specific ingredients:  Spam, King's Hawaiian bread and miracle whip salad dressing.  It was the best tasting bad-for-you sandwich I ever ate.

5. Ahnoosh profile image86
    Ahnooshposted 5 years ago

We went on a camping trip once with some friends and we were all in charge of preparing a meal.  One of the single guys prepared spam sandwiches with these specific ingredients:  Spam, King's Hawaiian bread and miracle whip salad dressing.  It was the best tasting bad-for-you sandwich I ever ate.

6. McQueen3486 profile image60

I can deal with the spam and the Hawaiian Bread (another weakness of mine), but the miracle whip...eh. Nothing that resembles mayonnaise. I bet sweet and sour sauce would've been amazing on it as well. Especially with the Hawaiian bread. Did you grill the spam?

7. 0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 5 years ago

My mom and my brother roll up slices of Spam in sheets of seaweed.  Basically like sushi, but in a cone shape.  With rice and veggies.  If it were anything other than Spam, I'd eat it, but no Spam for me.

8. McQueen3486 profile image60

That actually sounds delish! I love a good sushi. I'll take it into consideration!

9. Cassie Smith profile image75
    Cassie Smithposted 5 years ago

I love Spam.  I fry it like a frittata with eggs and onions.  Can't eat it too often though cause it's all salt and preservatives.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image81
      Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

My mother used to make us Spam fritters...yum

10. McQueen3486 profile image60

2nd person to mention that. Sounds delish.

working