jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Has Anyone Used Muscovado Sugar?

1. eatlikenoone profile image83
    eatlikenooneposted 5 years ago

I wanted to know if anyone has used muscovado sugar before? I am experimenting using different sugars in my recipes, and just wanted to hear if anyone else has used it.

1. vespawoolf profile image96
      vespawoolfposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yes, I've used it to sweeten coffee or tea. It has a strong molasses flavor, which I don't mind. I wouldn't be a good substitute for sugar in baked goods.

2. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yes I've used it for Christmas pudding. It helps the fruit retain moisture, it is very moist.

2. 2uesday profile image87
    2uesdayposted 5 years ago

Yes I have used it a couple of times,it does seem to add a stronger flavor to the cake than most other sugars. It also darkens the finished color of the cake if I remember correctly.

3. daisynicolas profile image83
    daisynicolasposted 5 years ago

Muscovado sugar is mostly used as garnish because of its characteristically bigger granules. When you want your pastries, cookies, cakes  finish with some extra crunch, extra color, and a bit of sweetness, use it as topping.  Best for plain cookies, scones and muffins.  This sugar does not melt easily, thus, don't use in place of regular sugar.

eatlikenooneposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I think you are referring to demera or turbinado sugar. Those sugars have large crystals. I worked at a bakery and that is the kind of sugar we used to top our ginger cookies and it had a crunch to it after coming out of the oven.

4. EmpressFelicity profile image86
    EmpressFelicityposted 5 years ago

I use it in bread pudding, along with treacle.

5. Shaddie profile image94
    Shaddieposted 5 years ago

Yes, and it is VERY strong! I love it! A few drops of the stuff is like a few globs of honey, it goes a long way.

eatlikenooneposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I love it too. Sometimes we sprinkle some on a bowl of Cherrios, gives them a great flavor.

working