jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Healthy Eating: Why do so many peoples seem to fear it?

1. A Thousand Words profile image80
    A Thousand Wordsposted 4 years ago

Why are a lot of the people, especially young people, in this country (USA) "allergic" to anything that sounds healthy? Well, I guess I mean more my generation, it seems like the little ones are being better about it. But, I was in class yesterday, and the reaction the students had when the teacher mentioned eating healthy was mind blowing for me. And yet we wonder why there's a million and one things wrong with us health-wise when we get older... and even now. There's nothing wrong with eating a little whole grain or some fruits and vegetables every once in a while (but you really should every day). God forbid we collectively become solely natural/organic-eating vegans or freegans. Most of the restaurants in this country would go out of business. But that's wishful thinking... Hell, I work for a company that promotes crap. Just another reason for me to quit. But if we only knew that most of the sicknesses we experience stem from what we eat (or don't eat).

2. Midasfx profile image64
    Midasfxposted 4 years ago

You always fear things that you don't know. So when you only eat chicken nuggets, hotdogs and mac&cheese, things like asparagus or tufo sounds crazy.

3. timmathisen profile image89
    timmathisenposted 4 years ago

I think young people use their parents as role models. If the parents fed them unhealthy food for years because it was cheaper, more convenient, etc., these young people grew up on this kind of food and, as Midasfx mention, will fear change. Unhealthy food then becomes a constant variable in their lives.

4. couturepopcafe profile image60
    couturepopcafeposted 4 years ago

Tastebuds have memory. If you grow up on nuggets, you want the taste of fat and crunch. Same with sweet or salty. Also some people have more or less of the sweet or salty responding taste buds on their tongue (but that's another issue). Simply a matter of conditioning. And marketing is part of conditioning. You see something that looks delicious on tv and just want it.

Good food takes time to prepare and many people are not willing to put in the time or money.