jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (34 posts)

Tasty salads

1. wellnessguidesja profile image61
    wellnessguidesjaposted 5 years ago

What is the tastiest salad you've ever had, and what were the ingredients?

2. paradigmsearch profile image85
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

A salad without croutons is as a day without sunshine. big_smile

wellnessguidesjaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Crunch is important to salads. Adds texture. What about nuts and seeds?

1. paradigmsearch profile image85
        paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Me, no. But taste is subjective, so there is no wrong answer. smile

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
          Hollie Thomasposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Rocket, a salad must contain rocket.

1. paradigmsearch profile image85
            paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I had to look that up. Thanx. I learned something new.

Once you have tried a salad with rocket, there's no turning back.

1. Cardisa profile image91
                Cardisaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Croutons can be tasty if you make them yourself. You can toast your croutons by tossing them in a mixture of dry herbs, crushed garlic, salt and olive oil...then toast them. I guarantee tastiness!

Yeah, I like croutons. But rocket is quite peppery, quite spicy. It adds something.

Gosh I remember the first time I had rocket, I cried.... lol

2. mega1 profile image79
        mega1posted 5 years ago in reply to this

also to add crunch to salad - little cubes of jicama -  I also adore artichoke hearts plain or pickled in my salad.  Nowadays they are putting all kinds of smoked meats in salads - but a good one I had had tiny triangles of pepperoni (gourmet pepperoni) tossed in, it was colorful and yummy.  bacon is also good - not the fake bacon bits, but real ones.  It is kind of weird to think of, but I know somebody who used to eat salad for breakfast, often.  He also steamed zucchini and ate it as a side dish with his scrambled eggs!  Veggies at breakfast are a real treat.

Mega1, what is jicama...forgive my ignorance. smile

1. mega1 profile image79

jicama is a big round root or tuber vegetable with a brown or yellowish skin - white inside.  Very solid and heavy.  You usually find it near the celery and carrots.  It has a mild, sweet flavor - not strong. You can grate it or slice or dice it.  It is best eaten raw.  I love it raw in a salad, peeled and diced.  It is very crunchy and pleasing to eat.

http://www.sallybernstein.com/images/food/column/ferryfiszer/jicama.jpg

Thanks! I haven't seen or heard of it before but it sounds delicious.

2. wellnessguidesja profile image61

was just about to ask too ...

This forum is so peaceful, haaaaa, this is the way forums are supposed to be! I just love it here!

3. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 5 years ago

for me, you need to add sunflower sprouts!  so yummy

oh and I love the baby salad mix greens combined with some romaine

even on a ceasar salad, add the sprouts!

or just make me a chinese chicken salad

oh crap, now I'm hungry again and I just had a delightful grilled marinated chicken breast sandwich with fennel pesto, homemade sweet mustard, baby greens on a nice soft kaiser bun.

Mega1, now I'm hungry again. However, as I do have the ingredients you have mentioned, I'm gonna put a cheese and onion pie in the oven. Hardly the same.

How do you make fennel pesto?

1. mega1 profile image79

chop it up and roast the fennel root in oven until soft, then puree with a bit of oil, maybe a little light balsamic vinegar, tiny bit of sea salt - and presto!  fennel pesto! It has a slight licorice flavor, a little sweet - complements chicken and fish!  great stuff.

4. Cardisa profile image91
    Cardisaposted 5 years ago

I love a mix of every little thing.  Like a manila lettuce with grapes, olives and plum tossed in a sweet vinaigrette dressing with sweet basil.

But my favourite is actually an Asian salad. Finely chopped pak choi with a candy crumble made from sesame seeds, almonds, butter and sugar. The dressing is made from red wine vinegar, orange juice, soy sauce, sugar and sunflower oil.

Oh how can I forget the infamous tabbouleh!

Reading about this salad makes me hungry. I don't like tabbouleh though.

Hi Hollie, how can you not like tabbouleh? The first time I made it for my boss I was sceptical about the taste then I tried it and have been hooked!

Tabbouleh , made with bulgar wheat? I just didn't like it, but I don't like bulgar wheat, so that would make sense. smile

You could substitute the bulgar for another grain like cooked rye berries.

I've never tried cooked rye berries. I will find some. Thanks, Cardisa.

Welcome smile Any health food store will have them.

Ccardisa, this sounds absolutely yummy. You've given me some great ideas for my own salads.

5. wellnessguidesja profile image61
    wellnessguidesjaposted 5 years ago

I once tasted this fabulous Lebanese salad called Fatoush at a little lebanese restaurant named Chez Maria in St Andrew, Jamaica. Its my absolute favourite.

I haven't had the Fatoush. I am embarrassed but I don't know Chez Maria....lol

Whats the need for embarrassment? I only learned of fattoush some two years ago. Its  Lebanese salad with romaine lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, parsley, tossed in a dressing made with lemon juice, olive oil, mint, garlic. It is also tossed with toasted pieces of pita bread for a nice crunch. By the way, Ive never had tabbouleh or rye berries. But I'm not embarrassed. Thanks for the fabulous ideas. I love salads and will be trying them soon. Will post you my reviews.

6. MomsTreasureChest profile image67
    MomsTreasureChestposted 5 years ago

Love a Spring Mix salad with a Raspberry dressing, pistachios, craisins, feta cheese..just thinking about it makes me want one!

7. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 5 years ago

looked up jicama and found out it is from Mexico or South America - and just remembered that along with sweet potatoes, it also makes great french fries.  It can also be cut into discs and used like water chestnuts in stir fries - very good.  But I like it best raw.  Its one of those veggies at the back of the produce section that many people ignore - but in the 80s in California a lot of my friends discovered it and served it all the time.  Now it is not as popular, but well-known by the foodies.  It think you will enjoy it, there's no strong strange flavor or anything like that. and it tastes much better than turnips, which it resembles a bit.

At first I thought it was potatoes, then I thought it was turnips...lol

I don't know if  I can get them here but I will ask around. I would sure like to try it.

working