Pakora sauce, anyone got a good recipe?

1. IzzyM profile image85
    IzzyMposted 4 years ago

I'm thinking of trying to make pakoras, if I can find any chickpea flour locally - or maybe normal flour will do.

But what I really want the recipe for is the sauce the Indian restaurants serve in Scotland.

Apparently they don't serve it in England even, but this sauce is thin, red, and is hot (spicy). There is definitely a hint of mint in it too. But its not the yogurt sauce because it is too thick.

I found some recipes and tried them out this evening, just using tiny quantities.

They called for red chilli powder, and all I had were dried chillies. So I burst them open and added the seeds.

Then touched my nose.

Big mistake LOL

Anyway I have tried one that called for a mix of water, tomato ketchup, mint sauce, lemon juice, salt, sugar and water, and its wasn't spicy.

So found another with yogurt and chilli powder, and everything else just listed except for water, and it was 'almost right'.

Maybe if I add the chilli into the first one it will be better.

Anyone got any tips? (I already tried Gordon Hamilton but he doesn't have any recipes for pakora or the sauce).

1. Silver Fish profile image87
      Silver Fishposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I have been looking for the recipe for the sauce too, let me know if you find it!

My local wholefood/Indian shop in East Lothian sells the sauce home-made, but the shop owner won't give me the recipe!

I have tried various pakora recipes, the best one I have found is Jamie Olivers. He uses I think half gram flour and half self raising, it gives a lighter texture than gram flour alone.

1. IzzyM profile image85
        IzzyMposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Someone will have a friend somewhere who will share, I'm sure of it. I checked out Google, and almost everyone seems to post the same ingredients for the dip and they are not quite right (according to my experiments).
        I was hoping one of our Asian cousins here would recognise the sauce I am looking for - would help if we knew its name I suppose.

Thanks for the tip about Jamie Oliver's recipe.