jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (13 posts)

Silly Question - Where Do You Keep Your Salt and Why?

1. GmaGoldie profile image86
    GmaGoldieposted 4 years ago

I avoid using salt because I am heart patient and it frustrates my husband to no end.

I finally moved the salt out of the cabinet and placed it next to the stove.

Silly question, where does your salt and pepper permanently reside? In a cabinet, on the table, on the stove top? And why?

1. Melindas Mind profile image86
      Melindas Mindposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I have a tupperware container of salt in the pantry, and a shaker of salt next to the stove.

2. recommend1 profile image70
    recommend1posted 4 years ago

I keep a litle to hand in the navel of a naked virgin, he is getting a bit fed up with it now though !

Seriously, we keep it in an old plastic peanut butter tub with a screw top and it is damp and almost unuseable.  I am thinking of getting an earthenware pot with a loose lid.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 4 years ago

In the cupboard next to the stove. The occasional steam from the stove would make it clump I would think.

4. Kiwi Max profile image81
    Kiwi Maxposted 4 years ago

Ever since my 1 year old brother used it as a rattle - needless to say we now keep the salt in high places

5. Captain Redbeard profile image60
    Captain Redbeardposted 4 years ago

With the other spices in a cool dry cabinet. Best place to preserve freshness.

6. Lisa HW profile image84
    Lisa HWposted 4 years ago

I keep the original container it comes in in the back of the cabinet, and in a closed/sealed plastic container.  Why?  Back of the cabinet because I don't need the original container very often.  Sealed plastic container:  Ants have been known to show up in the house for three weeks in June.  I'm always ready for them.  mad  I do always have one pretty salt/pepper set or another on a kitchen bench.  They're both for decoration and my own use.  With no small children in the home or visiting, I don't have to worry about the small-kids factor.

I'm the only one who uses salt in my family; but I pretty much use all food as a delivery system for it.  hmm  (I never introduced salt to my kids and always aimed to serve them as much food with little or not salt in it; so I broke the "cycle of salt" in the family with my kids' generation.  There's no help for me, though.  I'm addicted.

1. lobobrandon profile image83
      lobobrandonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Hmm how can you'll have food without salt! It'll be horrible tongue

1. Cardisa profile image91
        Cardisaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It all depends on how you prepare it Brandon. For example steamed, broiled and grilled foods don't need salt especially if you season them well with herbs and spices.

7. Eric Newland profile image61
    Eric Newlandposted 4 years ago

My salt and pepper reside wherever the last person to use it left it. Which tends to help keep my own sodium consumption down.

8. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 4 years ago

okay....well my salt grinder (rocks) sits on my window sill...used for cooking - i only put salt shakers on the table when i have guests for dinner - in case someone uses it...i only started using salt a few years ago...i was raised without using salt because it is naturally in many food items....i've acquired a taste for it now

9. 0
    klarawieckposted 4 years ago

Salt is right next to the pepper grinder and olive oil - on the counter next to the stove! I think the trick to a great meal is adding the exact amount of salt and pepper.

10. Cardisa profile image91
    Cardisaposted 4 years ago

I keep my salt in a jar on a shelf on the opposite side of the stove. The heat from the stove tend to harden the salt (from my experience).