jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (11 posts)

What is your favorite hot sauce? Have you ever made your own?

1. crazyhorsesghost profile image86
    crazyhorsesghostposted 4 years ago

What do you think makes a great hot sauce. I myself like a little bit of fire with a bit of sweet thrown in. I have been making my own hot sauces for over 40 years and one of my favorites is made with mango and habanero peppers. It has just the right amount of hot and just the right amount of sweet and its perfect on chicken. Use this sauce on chicken wings for a delightful taste. Below is my recipe for the sauce.

Cross Section Of A Mango

1. Three Fresh Habanero Peppers with the seeds and stems removed and diced. *See Note
    2. Eight Cups of Ripe Mango cut up small.
    3. Two Thirds Cup Purple Or Red Sweet Onion cut up into small pieces.
    4. One Half Cup White Vinegar.
    5. One Cup Tomato Sauce.
    6. One Half Cup White Granulated Sugar.
    7. Two Tablespoons Vegetable Oil.
    8. One Teaspoon Ground Sea Salt.
    9. One Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper.

Put your oil in a large skillet and then add your onions, peppers,and the  mango to the pan. Cook until the onions are cooked but not brown. Add your vinegar next and when the ingredients in the pan are almost at a boil stir in the rest of your ingredients.

Turn the heat down to a low simmer and cook for thirty minutes.

Turn the heat off and let the ingredients cool to room temperature. In small batches use your blender to puree the sauce smooth. One you have all your sauce pureed smooth put it into a covered container in the refrigerator and chill over night before you use.

It will keep well in the refrigerator for a month but I bet the sauce doesn't last that long. I know I and my family and friends just love it.

Habanero Chile Pepper

Use care when working with any hot peppers. I always wear disposable gloves so I don't get it in my eyes or on my face. Remove the seeds and stems from your peppers and wash them under cold running water before you dice them up.

So have you ever made your own hot sauce? What is your favorite hot sauce?

I look forward to your replies.

2. mts1098 profile image85
    mts1098posted 4 years ago

I use hot sauce recipe quite a bit for my foods

1 5 oz bottle of Tabasco (any flavor)
        20 drops Sherry Pepper sauce
        cover mixing bowl bottom with habanero powder
        5 splashes of A1 Bold with Tabasco

3. Veganrunner profile image59
    Veganrunnerposted 4 years ago

There is a brand of hot sauce called 'Crystals' that I believe originates in Louisiana... my all time favorite!

4. cloverleaffarm profile image80
    cloverleaffarmposted 4 years ago

I use hot sauce all the time. For chicken, fish, and even veggies. I usually make my own in the fall, and can it. If I run out, I use Sizzlin Sauces. They are a local company here in NH, and I use to work with the chef who creates them. He is not only an awesome guy, he is an awesome cook, and creates the most delicious hot sauces like Howling Hollar made with pumpkin.

1. mts1098 profile image85
      mts1098posted 4 years ago in reply to this

try hot sauce on eggs, pasta and pizza also...cheers

1. cloverleaffarm profile image80
        cloverleaffarmposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Well, I use to eat it on eggs. Then I was suddenly allergic to eggs sad Not a good thing when you have 50 chickens in your back yard...lol.
        I shall have to try it on pizza

1. mts1098 profile image85
          mts1098posted 4 years ago in reply to this

If you cook the chickens the egg problem goes away smile

5. rgmit profile image60
    rgmitposted 4 years ago

Red Hots is usually my sauce of choice.

6. Cardisa profile image91
    Cardisaposted 4 years ago

I like our local scotch bonnet pepper sauces. I have also grown to love the flavoured sauces with our seasonal fruits. Like my sauce with a little sweetness.

7. SmartAndFun profile image90
    SmartAndFunposted 4 years ago

I am not a huge fan of hot sauce (I prefer fresh salsa) but my husband loves it. His favorite brand is Cajun Chef. He also likes Tabasco Chipotle Pepper Sauce.

8. bushraismail profile image59
    bushraismailposted 4 years ago

YUP...I have made them at home and love it..one of my hubs have the recipe.

One sauce the soya peking is awesome with my KFC chicken...THATS ANOTHER HUB!!