jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Starbucks Drops Bug-Based Ingredients From Menu

1. Stacie L profile image86
    Stacie Lposted 4 years ago

Starbucks Drops Bug-Based Ingredients From Menu

After outrage from vegans and vegetarians over the use of a red dye made from crushed insects, Starbucks says it will transition to a less offensive food coloring.
    By Courtney Subramanian | @cmsub | April 20, 2012

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/04/20/sta … z1sbQteOhE
    if we only knew exactly what was in our food products,many would stop buying commercial meals.I am unhappy to see that Starbucks used insects in their coffee.  yikes

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

If you think about the fact that you're paying $4.10 or more for a regular latte with an extra shot - actual cost approximately 12 cents including the cup, straw, paper, napkin, etc., you'll realize that the wonderful SB is not in it for your health. They do use mostly coop beans though. Good for them and the farmers. Not for you.

2. Eric Newland profile image61
    Eric Newlandposted 4 years ago

On the other hand, the idea that bugs are inedible is largely a Western cultural anomaly. I'd take big juice over Red 40, at any rate. At least it's natural.

Disclosure's still good, though, granted.

3. Shanna11 profile image92
    Shanna11posted 4 years ago

Poor little insects. I know it's normal in a lot of other cultures to eat bugs, but I just can't do it. A lot of red yogurts and other foods have red dye made from the crushed insects. I always check my strawberry yogurt for it before I buy or eat it.

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Red yogurt? Wow. Maybe you should consider eating plain organic yogurt and adding your own organic fruit. If you hate bugs, you probably won't be happy knowing what's used to keep them off your strawberries.

working