Ready Made Fondant and Gum Paste

1. Lisa HW profile image83
    Lisa HWposted 4 years ago

Does anyone know if either ready-made fondant or gum paste are easy enough for first-time decorators to use (and have things come out "half decent")?

1. BakingBread-101 profile image60
      BakingBread-101posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Ready made fondant is absolutely disgusting stuff and very expensive.  You can VERY EASILY and very inexpensively make a marshmellow fondant that is easy to use.
      Put a 16 oz. bag of mini marshmellows and 1/4 cup of water in a deep microwaveable bowl.  Microwave for one (1) minutes.  The mixture will expand and that's why you need a good sized bowl.  Stir.  Put it in the mixer with about 1 lb. of confectioner's sugar, mix, and then continue adding up to 1 more pound (the remainder of a 2 lb. bag) of confectioner's sugar until the fondant is firm and not sticky. 

If you need it all or most of it a color -- add the color now and let the mixer mix it in.  Put it in a ziplock baggie or saran wrap and let it rest one hour or more.

If you are covering a cake with fondant, I would invest in a fondant smoother tool.  I bought mine in the Wilton section of party goods at a super Walmart.  If you are making decorations with the fondant, you may need several WEEKS for them to dry, so do them a month ahead.  They keep forever (I'm still using flowers from 3 years ago on my little girl's birthday cake).

I can't answer about gumpaste because I've never used it.  This marshmellow fondant is super easy and only takes a few minutes to make.  Costs less than $3 per recipe.

I hope this helps!