I have to put my 2 cents in.

1. KevinMillican profile image74
    KevinMillicanposted 4 years ago

There is a closed thread here that talks about how most food hubs here are poor in quality.  I'm assuming the OP was referring to the poor quality of the recipes themselves than the writing of the recipe hubs.  If I recall correctly, there was mention of how quick and easy food recipes have become.
    Now, my two cents.  One has to remember that many people look for recipes that are quick and easy to make because they may be exhausted from work and don't want to spend hours in the kitchen cooking.  Also, recipes like ones found in this site are written by everyday people and not every single last person that writes recipe hubs are professional chefs.  Not everyone who writes food hubs write them thinking a professional chef is looking up their recipes.  Most food hubs on here are written with the target audience of typical mom and dads (maybe even children). 
    There was mention of microwaves being used too much.  If I were to come across someone that could cook a decent meal using only a microwave, I'd be amazed because I can barely use a microwave.  I do own a microwave, but the only time I use it is to make a quick bag of popcorn before I start a movie.  Everything else I cook is from fresh produce, meats, etc. 
    Sauces...there was mention of the use of prepacked sauces.  Out of all of the people I know, I don't think there is a single person that can make ketchup or pataks in their kitchen. Therefore, it is much easier for them to buy the sauces already made.  If I can write out a recipe of my own that calls for manufactured sauces to make the lives of others better and more enjoyable, then so be it.
    I am going through culinary arts college, yet I still keep in mind of the general public when writing/giving away my personal recipes.  It feels good to me and them when they are able to taste my food and want to learn how to cook just as good.  But for them to start learning to cook, I don't start teaching them sauces right from the get go.  I'll first teach them knife skills so that they don't hurt themselves, then move on from there. 
    People these days live busy lives and don't want to spend hours and hours in the kitchen.  And with the economy the way it is, more and more people are starting to dine in, but they do not know how to cook.  So, us writers that write poor recipe hubs, we do it with those kinds of people in mind.  Not the people who think of themselves as kitchen ultimate recipe writing gods.

1. tammyswallow profile image91
      tammyswallowposted 4 years ago in reply to this

After reading your hubs, you offer some great incentives to read recipe hubs. smile Hubpages just added the cool new recipe layout for hubs. If you read something like that, it may be talking about the old layout. I don't write many recipes, but I know they do pretty well on Hubpages.

I am personally looking into recipes that are healthy.. those that can be made with coconut flour, grass fed beef, and gluten free products.

I am writing recipes for the June recipie contest and they are a lot of work.

1. KevinMillican profile image74
        KevinMillicanposted 4 years ago in reply to this

What I find fun with cooking is to take various ingredients and experiment with them.  I'll take certain spices, try them in certain dishes for flavor (making adjustments each time I attempt to create a dish), mainly for the health benefits of certain spices.
        The hardest part of writing recipes that I find is figuring the nutritional values.