Information about Banana
Bananas do not grow on trees, banana plant don't have a woody stem, they are actually a giant herb. Bananas are thought to be one of the world's oldest cultivated fruits and evidence of their existence dates back to the sixth century BC in India.
Bananas grow in bunches called a hand and each hand has about 15-20 fingers or fruit. They are harvested when green and ripen best after picking.
There are more than 500 varieties of bananas around the world, Popular varieties of banana include Cavendish, sugar bananas Gros Michel or "Big Michel" and lady fingers, while the plantain is a large type of banana that is hard and starchy and is mostly used as a vegetable in cooking.
Are bananas good for you?
- Bananas are rich in potassium and low in sodium: an average-size banana contains 440 mg potassium and only 1 mg sodium. As such bananas are used to treat hypertension and detoxify the body.
- The principal aroma of banana is amyl acetate and they contain larger amounts of tryptophan, an amino acid that is converted to serotonin, an inhibiting brain neurotransmitter which makes banana a calming food , especially when taken with milk before bedtime.
- Bananas serve as a good internal lubricator for the intestines as they moisten dryness and although they are commonly given to children, they are suitable for everyone, especially for people who tend to suffer from hypertension, weak digestion and general weakness.
- Bananas are astringent before fully ripened which makes them useful in the treatment of diarrhea and hemorrhoids.
- When fully ripe, bananas can be beneficial in the treatment of constipation and ulcers.
- Banana is a wonderful source of Vitamin C along with good amount of the B group vitamins, folate, niacin, riboflavin and pantothenic acid.
Easy availability makes bananas the perfect snack for anyone who is engage in sport or other physically demanding activities. Nowadays you will see footballers, professional athletes pack bananas in their sports bags.
How many times, we see athletes suffered from cramps during the game, it is a common perception that cramp is caused by salt lost through sweating, instead of taking salt table it is advisable to eat bananas. It supply digestable carbohydrates to give energy as well as loads of potassium to prevent cramps and to keep their muscles working properly.
Tips on handling and storing bananas
Do not keep bananas in the fridge as the skin will turn black- though this doesn't actually affect the taste.
If possible store the bananas on a banana hook if you have one or any hook will do.
Banana produce ethylene which will cause other fruit or vegetables sitting near them to ripen prematurely.
To prevent discolouration of the flesh, cut with a stainless steel knife and toss the slices in lemon juice.
Cooking brings out their full flavour of the bananas. If you are going to use bananas for cooking it should be firmer than the ones eaten raw. Unripe bananas can be cooked in curries and made into aromatic pickles and chutneys.
You will find that boiled or baked green bananas can also be found in many Asian, African and Caribbean Island recipes
Caramelized Banana with ice cream
I like eating banana as it is, but sometimes I like to experiment and try something new, I remember watching it on TV, it is called Banana Flambe, you need to add a bit of Jack Daniel, since I don't have one so I just use orange juice, it taste delish, why don't you try it.
You will need:
- 2 Bananas ripe
- Castor sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- Peel the banana
- In a frying pan,melt the sugar and the butter until lightly caramel
- Add the banana until golden brown
- Add orange juice, reduce to a sauce consistency
- Place the banana on plate with a scoop of ice cream and the sauce on top.
I hope you will like this dessert as I do......
Guavas are a native Central American tropical tree, related to the myrtle family, they are sensitive to frost and grow well in subtropical areas. There are many varieties and these vary in size and shape.
Avocados have soft, buttery flesh and a mild, slightly nutty flavor and are the only fruit that contains fat (monounsaturated fat). Because of their pear shape, they are sometimes called avocado pear.
- Kiwi Fruits
Kiwi fruits are fuzzy -skinned egg shaped fruit known as the Chinese gooseberry was introduced to New Zealand from China.
More by this Author
Interesting facts about this nutritious fruit and recipe for Guacamole and Avocado shake.
Here are some the reason why they are good for you.
Explanations of the different Catholic symbols: these symbols act as badges of faith, teaching tools, and aids on the journey towards an understanding of complex philosophies. Images included.