Gluten Free Cornbread Recipe - Easy and Low Fat
© All Rights Reserved
When it comes to gluten-free bread, I always prefer quick bread to regular bread. To make a regular bread gluten-free, you would need to replace wheat flour with a complex mixture of several kinds of flour, and the texture tends to end up being very dense and heavy. A gluten-free quick bread, on the other hand, requires less ingredients and usually comes out very nice and light. The quick bread recipe I'm sharing with you today is a gluten-free and low-fat sweet cornbread, which can be served as a side dish or enjoyed by itself as a special treat.
Facts about Cornbread
Is cornbread usually gluten-free? - No. It usually contains a small amount of wheat flour. If you're on a gluten-free diet and want to buy ready-made cornbread, you must choose one with a "gluten-free" label.
Does cornbread require yeast? - No. It is leavened by baking powder only.
How is cornbread usually made? - Typically, it is either baked in a shallow baking pan or fried in a cast iron skillet. It can also be steamed, but steaming is not a popular method as it makes the texture too soft, almost like a pudding rather than a bread.
Gluten-Free Cornbread Recipe - Ingredients (make 9 2.5 x 2.5 inch squares)
- 2/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup rice flour
- 2 tbsps cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup plain, fat-free Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup whole corn kernels
- cooking spray
Gluten-Free Cornbread Recipe - Preparation
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Mix cornmeal, rice flour, cornstarch, sugar and baking powder in a large bowl.
- Put egg, milk, yogurt and oil in another bowl. Mix together well.
- Add the egg mixture to the dry mixture, then stir together with a fork until well blended.
- Add corn kernels and stir until combined.
- Lightly grease the inside of a 7.5" square baking pan with cooking spray.
- Pour the cornbread batter into the pan and bake for about 20 - 25 minutes or until the top turns lightly brown and the inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cornbread to cool in the pan for a few minutes.
- Cut into nine 2.5" squares and serve warm.
***If you want to bake it in a loaf pan instead of a shallow square pan, set the oven temperature at about 350° F - 375° F and bake for about 30 - 35 minutes.***
Nutrition Details (for one 2.5" x 2.5" square)
***These nutrition details were calculated on the iPhone app, MyFitnessPal.***
More by this Author
An easy gluten-free dessert with a fun twist. Learn how to make it with these step-by-step instructions and pictures!
When life gives you lemons, turn them into lemon cupcakes! Learn how to make gluten-free, lemon poppy seed cupcakes from scratch with this step-by-step video.
The article explores the history and philosophy of the Japanese rock garden, in addition to giving step-by-step instructions on how to design and build one.
Comments 17 comments
Plus Points about This Gluten-Free Cornbread Recipe
- The fat content is pretty low compared to regular cornbread. It is filled with healthy and low-fat ingredients, including skim milk, fat-free Greek yogurt, vegetable oil and corn kernels. If you want to make it even lower in fat, use an egg substitute instead of one whole egg.
- The use of whole corn kernels in this recipe not only creates an interesting texture and a nice flavor, but also adds extra dietary fiber to the cornbread.
- It is a stress-free recipe. Most of the required ingredients are staples in many households and can be found in any supermarket. Plus, there's no special trick involved. Just mix, bake and wait. Your homemade gluten-free cornbread will be ready in just about 20 minutes!