How to Cook "Suman" for a complete meal?
Most Asian countries eat rice for more or less 3 times a day. In the Philippines, a meal without rice can't be considered complete. That's how important it is in Pinoys' everyday indulgence and satisfaction.
No wonder why my mother is always reminding us not to skip a single meal without rice, sometimes even in "merienda" (snack). She loves to experiment in cooking rice and sometimes leads to mouthwatering creations. Among those creations, her "ham and cheese suman (rice cake) with coco jam sauce" is one of my favorites.
There's a lot of techniques in cooking rice esp. the glutinous type (which is the main ingredient in this recipe) but as long as you manage to cook it right, expect to satisfy your appetite!
I am not sure if someone out there tried this version but here's my mom's way. Yummy!
Ham and Cheese Suman with Coco Jam Sauce
Here we go!
1. Wash the "malagkit" (sticky rice) with water three times and drain.
2. Pour some water to the grated/dessicated coconut and extract the (first) milk from it. Set aside but don't throw the dessicated coconut yet. Add some water again and extract the milk for the second time. (or you can also just buy coconut milk from the market)
3. Instead of water, cook the "malagkit" in coconut milk which was acquired from the second extraction. Put some salt about 3 tsp. or according to your taste. Simmer until most of the coco milk has been absorbed and the "malagkit" rice is done. Set aside.
4. Soak the banana leaves in hot water to soften the leaves and clean them as well.
5. Use the banana leaves as sheets to spread the rice on, put the ham and cheese inside, size may vary according to your preference,(my mother can make 20-25 pieces from this preparation). Wrap and tight with the string.
6. Steam for 30 minutes. Let it cool afterwards.
7.Now it's time to make the coco jam as our sauce. In a heavy-bottomed pot, combine the coconut milk (from the first extraction) and sugar. Mix well by stirring continuously and boil until the mixture thickens, around 30 minutes in a low fire.
8. We're done!!! Serve the "suman" together with the sauce or coco jam on a small plate or banana leaf.
"ENJOY!"...yum! yum! Bon Appétit!^.^
More by this Author
Another attraction for those adventure seekers and nature lovers is the Cavinti's newfound treasure. Let's dare to see what lies inside the cave of Cavinti, Laguna in the Philippines...
sharing great messages...
curious about Majayjay, Laguna? Here are some useful information.