How to Cook Lemon Sole
What is Lemon Sole?
Lemon sole is a particularly delicate species of fish, both in texture and in flavour. It is therefore extremely important that you take both these factors in to account when deciding how you are going to prepare it. It is particularly important to note that lemon sole is also presently rated a moderately sustainable species of fish by official agencies. The recipes on this page take account of the two most common ways in which you are likely to purchase lemon sole: whole and on the bone or skinned and filleted. The cooking methods are necessarily very different but the lemon sole is equally delicious whichever particular cut you choose to buy and cook.
Pan Fried Lemon Sole a la Meuniere with Crushed New Potatoes
Tips for Frying Whole Lemon Sole
This lemon sole was bought on the bone. It had been gutted and the head and tail removed but the fins remained intact. It is not essential to remove them prior to cooking but in this instance they were firstly cut off with kitchen scissors. This simply makes for better plate presentation.
- Prep time: 10 min
- Cook time: 30 min
- Ready in: 40 min
- Yields: One serving
- 1 prepared lemon sole
- 6 to 8 new potatoes, whole, skin on
- 1 spring onion, sliced in to discs
- 3oz unsalted butter
- Juice of half a lemon
- Salt and white pepper
- 2 tsp chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp frozen peas
- Flour for dusting
- Lemon wedge to garnish
How to Pan Fry a Whole Lemon SoleClick thumbnail to view full-size
- Put the potatoes in to a pot of cold, salted water. Bring the water to a boil then reduce the heat to simmer for twenty-five minutes or until soft.
- Melt two ounces of the butter in a small non-stick frying pan. Spread some flour on a plate and season with salt and pepper. Pat the sole in the flour on both sides and shake off excess.
- Lay the lemon sole in the pan, top (brown) side down and fry gently for four minutes. Carefully turn with a fish slice or spatula and fry for four further minutes on the underside.
- Drain the potatoes and return them to the empty pot. Add the remaining butter, season with salt and pepper and crush lightly with the back of a fork. Stir in the spring onion.
- Add the frozen peas to a pot of boiling water to cook for three minutes.
- Remove the lemon sole from the pan and plate. Add the lemon juice and parsley to the pan and cook on a high heat for one minute.
- Plate the crushed potatoes and drained peas alongside the fish. Spoon the sauce over the fish, garnish with the lemon wedge and serve.
Fish and Seafood Galore - Scottish Style
The clean cool waters in and around Scotland are home to a wonderful variety of fish and seafood. This e-book - released September 2015 - explores many of these species and looks at tasty, innovative ways of cooking and serving them up on a plate. Includes recipes for Mini Haddock and Salmon Puff Pastry Pies, Pollack and Pouting Packora, Smoked Salmon and Raspberry Salad and many more. Why not download your copy today and get cooking fish?
Gordon Ramsay Cooks Lemon Sole en Pappillote
Battered Lemon Sole Fillets with Chips
How to Deep Fry Lemon Sole in Batter
This recipe for lemon sole fillets is simplicity itself. A simple batter is made with flour, cold water and a little salt. It should be the consistency of thick paint. The lemon sole fillets are dipped in the batter, held up for a few seconds that the excess may drip off and deep fried in hot oil for three to four minutes until the batter is crisp and golden. They are drained on kitchen paper and served on a bed of lettuce, accompanied by some homemade chips.
How Would You Rate these Lemon Sole Recipe Ideas?
More by this Author
- EDITOR'S CHOICE22
Sprats are small, oily, highly nutritious fish which are often eaten whole. This page shows how to clean sprats before cooking if desired and also provides three quick, easy and tasty sprat recipes.
- EDITOR'S CHOICE3
Ling is a member of the same family as Atlantic cod, despite its very different physical appearance. It is a similarly firm fleshed white fish, delicious cooked and eaten in a number of different ways. Among others,...
- EDITOR'S CHOICE27
Duck eggs make a wonderfully tasty and refreshing change from chicken eggs and can largely be cooked almost exactly the same way. This page features ten different ways in which you can cook duck eggs (or chicken eggs)...