How to Make a Vegetarian Tortilla Black Bean Lasagna
Are you ready for a wonderful vegetarian recipe? Can you handle the meatless meal options coming your way? No? Yes? Maybe? Don't worry, your lives are for experimentation, no ones going to think you are a vegetarian by simply sampling the food. See what I did there? Innuendo is fun to play with.
This recipe is simple enough that even a novice cook can prepare it with minimal issues and delicious enough to satisfy the pickiest of foodies.
- 1 can Black beans, rinsed
- 1 can Lentils, rinsed
- 1 can Diced tomatoes
- 1 bag Jalapeno cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 bag Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 clove Garlic, crushed
- 6 Flatbread tortillas, 6-8 inch (preferable)
- Pepper, to taste
- Take a large pot out of your cupboard. Turn on your burner. Add olive oil and clove of garlic to the heated pot. Then empty can of diced tomatoes. Allow the tomatoes to boil.
- While the tomatoes are boiling, rinse the black beans and lentils in a strainer over your sink. Add them to the pot once they are sufficiently cleaned. Stir mixture occasionally, adding pepper as needed.
- While you are waiting for this mixture to finish (stir for around ten to fifteen minutes, until piping hot and beans are cooked) take a large casserole dish from your cupboard. Place on the counter, please DO NOT have someone hold the disk for you ... it will end badly for them.
- Begin scooping the mixture into the casserole dish, until the dish has a semi-thick coating on the bottom. Place down your first layer of tortillas. Sprinkle a mixture of the jalapeno and mozzarella cheese (to preference, of course). Add some more of your mixture on top of the cheese. Once the cheese is sufficiently covered, place another of tortillas on top.
- Begin scooping mixture on top of those tortillas, although it isn't necessary you can add cheese to this layer as well, I did - because cheese is my best friend. Continue the steps until you have run out of tortillas, put the last of the mixture on the top and then the remaining cheese (you can probably get away with, like I did, by only using half the bag of mozzarella - it just seemed like too much cheese to have two bags - but once again, it is personal preference)
- Preheat the oven to 375 and, wrap top of casserole dish with tinfoil and, cook between 15 - 20 minutes, you are basically allowing time for the tortillas to absorb the moisture and melt the cheese.
- For a crispy top layer, broil until the cheese is golden brown - usually for about five minutes. Remove from oven, allow to cool for five to ten minutes and enjoy. It's delicious, like insanely delicious.
More by this Author
There is nothing more fun than having Jell-O shots at one of your parties. They are relatively inexpensive to make and something fun you can have on hand to offer your guests and their friends.
Are you looking for a great vegetarian alternative to Jell-O shots? Introducing the pudding shot! Your life will be changed from the moment you try them.
Some important information about mixing two of the most commonly used over-the-counter medications—Tylenol (acetaminophen) and aspirin.