How to Make Apple-Oat Squares
I have never been much a candy-fiend but I absolutely love my baked goods. I swear to god I will end up being three hundred pounds, one day. Though, until that fateful day arrives I will continue salivating whenever I pass a bakery or meander through the baked good section of the grocery store and praying my friends bring me a baked bar whenever they come to visit.
There is something very simple about spending an afternoon baking bars for your friends and family, you can add whatever you want to them and make any recipe your very own. This recipe combines the heartiness of oats and the sweetness of apples before combining it into something truly delicious. Take this recipe and share it with friends and family and any strangers you happen upon.
- 1 1/2 cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Old-Fashioned Rolled Oats
- 1 cup Packed Light Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Grated Lemon Zest
- 3/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1/4 cup Apple Juice Concentrate, Thawed
- 2 tart Medium Apples, Granny Smith, Peeled, Cored, and Thinly Sliced
- 1/4 cup Coarsely Chopped Walnuts, Toasted
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly grease a 9 inch square baking pan, or coat with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, oats, brown sugar, lemon zest, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Work in the oil and apple juice concentrate with your fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. This is really the best part of the recipe, it allows you to work your hands.
- Firmly press two cups of the oat mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Arrange the apples over the crust in three rows. Mix the walnuts into the remaining oat mixture. Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the apples and pat into an even layer.
- Bake until the top is golden and the apples are tender when pierced with a fork, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack before cutting into squares.
More by this Author
Isn't it annoying when your friends or roommates do not share your intense love of coffee? Here is a few ways to convert your mellow friends.
There is nothing more fun than having Jell-O shots at one of your parties. They are relatively inexpensive to make and something fun you can have on hand to offer your guests and their friends.
Some important information about mixing two of the most commonly used over-the-counter medications—Tylenol (acetaminophen) and aspirin.
No comments yet.